Help Deciding Power Adder

SVT94GT

Aug 14, 2016
Va
After seeing what my car can do, it's a 98 full pi swap, full bolt ons and dyno tuned (255/295), I'm wondering what would be the best power adding route to go without breaking the bank or breaking my internals. I have Windsor 99 pi heads and cams and my gears are pressed on, so if I want to get a set of stage 1 comps cams, what will exactly have to do to be able to put those in without taking the heads off? New cam gears? But it'd be expensive because I have longtubes and the guy that does my work charges more labor if you have longtubes. So, instead I was thinking supercharger or turbo but that's super expensive as well and Idk how well my internals would hold up. Last thought was a 75-100 shot of NOS, the kits are only like $700 then a couple hundred more for injectors and new fuel pump, and then whatever labor cost to put in, I'm just curious how well my engine will hold up all together on a 100 shot. Any opinions, advice, thoughts, all greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Snapchat-1953126250.jpg
    Snapchat-1953126250.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20170428_171333.jpg
    IMG_20170428_171333.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
  • 20170428_172112.jpg
    20170428_172112.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Sponsors (?)

Nitrous. Easiest and cheapest way to go for more HP, assuming the internals are up to the levels you try to obtain. Nitrous has a bad reputation due to people trying to get too much out of it without ensuring proper fuel flow to match. It's not the least bit tolerant of going lean, but, then again, that can be said for anything that boosts the power.

Nathan

Nitrous. Easiest and cheapest way to go for more HP, assuming the internals are up to the levels you try to obtain. Nitrous has a bad reputation due to people trying to get too much out of it without ensuring proper fuel flow to match. It's not the least bit tolerant of going lean, but, then again, that can be said for anything that boosts the power.

Nathan
Yeah I was thinking about Nitrious to be honest, I had my PI swap done, and I had the PI heads and cams cleaned and reworked at the machine shop, made them pretty much brand new. Engine was also cleaned when the swap was done I know my compression is raised so that'd be my only concern. I was looking at the 50-150 shot kit but I really only need a 75 shot or 100 shot. Also rather be on the safe side. Are a aftermarket fuel pump and bigger injectors necessary with Nitrious?

Our n2o pi swapped 98 ran great on a small zex 125 hit. With long tubes, baby hi-tech cams and that it ran 11.90 @ 118 hanging the wheels each launch. Was sneaky.

Finding a secure sources of nitrous is still a bit tough right now however. Our car saw over 200 bottles and even survived a nitrous back fire from a missed shift. All on a 150k+ stock npi bottom end.

Our n2o pi swapped 98 ran great on a small zex 125 hit. With long tubes, baby hi-tech cams and that it ran 11.90 @ 118 hanging the wheels each launch. Was sneaky.

Finding a secure sources of nitrous is still a bit tough right now however. Our car saw over 200 bottles and even survived a nitrous back fire from a missed shift. All on a 150k+ stock npi bottom end.

Now that's what I like to hear, I'll probably end up keeping my stock PI cams in and just run a 100 shot of Nitrious

Robertsa, while I agree with your rationals for FIs (I'm partial to turbos), the OP expressed a concern about cost and complexity. If he just wants more horsepower, nitrous is still pretty much the easiest/cheapest route to go. As for if it's only good for just strip use, 75-100 horse shot isn't that big of a deal, plus there's the option of running a proportional system. It'd add ~$400, but makes the power delivery much more progressive. Granted, you're now starting to run the price up, but installation is still no more difficult than routing hoses and wires.

Nathan

I have a 50 trim eBay universal turbo sitting around but I don't have an intercooler or any of the piping for it so I have no clue if itd fit my car or not. I know Supercharger is the best option though, it's just way more expensive and I've looked everywhere to try and find a used supercharger kit for a 98 pi swapped 2v, I would go that route if I could find one for $1500 or under. I had a Nitrious LS1 f body just yesterday trying to hurt my feelings, made me want to go the nitrious route

You know I was thinking about nitrous but why nitrous temporarily when you can turbo full time. I still need one more turbo and some oil lines :D
So I settled for some heavy hitting gears for now. (4.56) which i havent tried yet because of headgasket.