Help Diagnose - No Boost On New Gauge

eschlenz

Founding Member
Jul 11, 2001
Boulder, CO
I just installed a new AEM digital boost gauge. The damned thing will not show any boost at WOT at all. Even at high RPMs. The vacuum readings look fine: 18-20 InHg at idle and down to 0 at WOT.

Here is what I have already checked:

1) Checked the sensor. Vacuum, as I said, looks fine. Using a bicycle pump I was able to show boost (went to 30 PSI during my test). So I believe the sensor and connections are good.

2) Checked the vacuum lines. Currently I'm tapped into the T right behind the throttle body (that ok?). Some of the lines were questionable, so I put new ones on and drove it around some more. Still no boost.

3) Checked the BOV. That looks fine too. Under vacuum the valve opens and stays open. When there is no vacuum it shuts as expected.

Other notes:

The gauge reads 6 InHg with the key at the on position. I should note that I am at altitude (about 10 miles west of Denver).

My previous gauge, albeit complete crap, did show boost. Although I'm not sure I can completely trust it (it was a Mookee gauge, don't ask...).

The car seems to pull pretty hard. If the SC truly isn't making boost then it is running pretty damned well.

My best guesses:

1) Sensor is not calibrated for my altitude.

2) My BD-11A's internal belt is slipping, or shredded. (Would it still whine? Because it does.)

3) I'm not tapped into the right spot for vacuum/boost. As I said before, I'm tapped into the vacuum T right behind the throttle body / intake manifold.

So what do you think?

Pic of where I'm tapped in: 5dc053ff.jpg picture by eschlenz - Photobucket

• Sponsors (?)