Help! Engine Noise After Cai/tuner Install

DZ408

Mar 11, 2016
So I have a 2016 Mustang gt. Automatic. Just installed C&L intake with bama X4. With the hood up I noticed a sound, not really a click, almost a pop, every 3-5 seconds. Goes away and comes back. 99% sure it wasn't there before. I'm aware it could be 100 different things. Car is running fine. Any ideas????? Thanks

I have a vid on my phone but it wont upload. Happy to send it to someone if they're willing to help

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Wow that's a lot more audible than I thought it would be. Have you placed a dowel rod on various part and put your ear up to it to see if you can help pin point it at all? You can idle the car on stock tune. Have you re flashed it back to stock to see if the noise goes away?

So I have a 2016 Mustang gt. Automatic. Just installed C&L intake with bama X4. With the hood up I noticed a sound, not really a click, almost a pop, every 3-5 seconds. Goes away and comes back. 99% sure it wasn't there before. I'm aware it could be 100 different things. Car is running fine. Any ideas????? Thanks

I have a vid on my phone but it wont upload. Happy to send it to someone if they're willing to help

You ever figure this out?? Same thing on mine. No tune and a different brand CAI. Same click though. Like the throttle body open and shutting

So I went back to stock intake and flashed the cpu to stock and the sound was still there. Had my mechanic confirm it was the throttle body. Took it to Ford and had them replace it. I was really worried about my warranty so I didn't ask too many questions.
Car drives alot better now but it still isn't right. I have some shaking going on when I start it in the morning, it subsides once I start driving. Gonna have my mechanic look at it again soon.

I think something is off with my A/F meter or I possibly have a vacuum leak. Blows my mind that such a simple install caused all these problems. Had a weird rattle on hard accelerations with the Bama tune too. Honestly wish I never messed with mods but now I'm in it lol. I'll keep you posted.

So I went back to stock intake and flashed the cpu to stock and the sound was still there. Had my mechanic confirm it was the throttle body. Took it to Ford and had them replace it. I was really worried about my warranty so I didn't ask too many questions.
Car drives alot better now but it still isn't right. I have some shaking going on when I start it in the morning, it subsides once I start driving. Gonna have my mechanic look at it again soon.

Great, looks like putting the stock airbox back in and see about taking it to the dealer to get the TB replaced. How many miles on your car

Yeah it's installed correctly, the car won't start if it isn't. I know this because I initially installed it upside down, my CnL intake didn't have arrows showing which way to connect it. Had it backwards and the car wouldn't start so I flipped it. I have been wondering if this damaged it but my mechanic doubts it.

My car is at 6900 miles.

Yeah it's installed correctly, the car won't start if it isn't. I know this because I initially installed it upside down, my CnL intake didn't have arrows showing which way to connect it. Had it backwards and the car wouldn't start so I flipped it. I have been wondering if this damaged it but my mechanic doubts it.

My car is at 6900 miles.

I doubt it too but it's starting too look like that's the only reason cause I've never had a problem installing a cold air intake. I'd take it to ford get it checked out its all stock so they won't say anything about your warranty.

Ok so my dumbass didn't close the stock air filter box, which was causing my cold start issues. Problem resolved.

I'm still not sure what happened with the etb, my guess is I punched the gas so hard after tuning and CAI that one of the little gears broke. No problems with the new one.

My current issue is with my bama tune, which I now have one for my stock intake. When I accelerate hard I get a rattle, very short sound. Reminds me of when you twist a gas cap on, the last twist where it locks. Scares the :poo: out of me. I'll start a new thread.