Help guys im putting in a new engine!!

mustangman70

Founding Member
Dec 30, 2001
St pete, Florida
I just bought a 1969 302 block complete from the carb to the pan with less then 10,000 miles on a fresh rebuild, no more then 10,000 on the fresh motor, sais its bored .60 over and has 9:5:1 compression. Now this is a friends dad so i dont think he would try and screw me over. He took it out of his truck ONLY to do a diesal swap :D

So its been sitting for a year on a stand, and he SAyS he has kept evreything oiled and stuff and he just wants it out of his garage. I did a compression test and it was GREAT. BUT shoudl i replace some gaskets anyways??? Like the oil pan gasket? rear seals? if its a 69 block how do i tell if its a 1 or 2 piece seal? Im doing all of this because my motor is so tired in the 70 and smokes like my grandma before she died AND 500 for this is too good to pass up. So i wil driv on that motor, and save my old block for the 347 :D

• Sponsors (?)

If it is just a stock rebuild, 500 is not that great. Ive seen 5.0's go cheaper for a driver. If it has some goodies maybe. If it don't leak, don't fix it. I'm a little scared of .060 over blocks. They tend to put more heat into the cooling system.