Help identify these heads please!

Cort

Sep 15, 2019
Colorado
So I got the heads that came with a 66 coupe I bought. They look aftermarket as they have zero manufacturing/casting numbers anywhere. There is identical stamped numbers on the front of both heads. They have bigger valves and appear to be slightly ported. I plan on running them on my 95 and I’m not worried about emissions. Just would like to k ow what they are. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 57A8881E-138C-4AE7-8E96-1B8F195C57EB.jpeg
    57A8881E-138C-4AE7-8E96-1B8F195C57EB.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 4994B020-3C5C-4E4A-AC5A-8F231040D1EB.jpeg
    4994B020-3C5C-4E4A-AC5A-8F231040D1EB.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 112CCAAA-8E7A-4D10-8B25-44428E788525.jpeg
    112CCAAA-8E7A-4D10-8B25-44428E788525.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 96D704DF-2F04-4B82-B0F2-A5E3624EEF8D.jpeg
    96D704DF-2F04-4B82-B0F2-A5E3624EEF8D.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 154
  • DF51C78C-95B4-4261-AEFA-CF7B0E4EB06A.jpeg
    DF51C78C-95B4-4261-AEFA-CF7B0E4EB06A.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Sponsors (?)

I ran through a couple of common heads, but I am unsure. The stamped numbers didn't bring up anything. Are they iron or aluminum? That's a good start.

Kurt

I think I have it. I think they are the old Trick flow High ports. I was pretty sure, because I recognized that exhaust flange surface, and individual cylinder jugs, but they only had standard exhaust manifold holes, and the High-ports usually had 2 sets of exhaust manifold bolt holes. I did some research, and it turns out that the original High-ports only had one set of bolt holes, and there is some history about Willburt Machine selling those heads to Trick Flow, etc. Those actually might be some pretty classic hot rod heads that someone might pay a good price for.

Kurt

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think I have it. I think they are the old Trick flow High ports. I was pretty sure, because I recognized that exhaust flange surface, and individual cylinder jugs, but they only had standard exhaust manifold holes, and the High-ports usually had 2 sets of exhaust manifold bolt holes. I did some research, and it turns out that the original High-ports only had one set of bolt holes, and there is some history about Willburt Machine selling those heads to Trick Flow, etc. Those actually might be some pretty classic hot rod heads that someone might pay a good price for.

Kurt
Wow! Thanks for the information!!! Finally have an idea what they could be. I plan on getting a set of springs that will accommodate a B303 cam. Already running a Trick Flow intake so the whole thing would be a cool old school set up.

Wow! Thanks for the information!!! Finally have an idea what they could be. I plan on getting a set of springs that will accommodate a B303 cam. Already running a Trick Flow intake so the whole thing would be a cool old school set up.

I am pretty confident I am correct on that. B303 cam will be no problem at all. A bigger cam would be nicer actually. Obviously that's a preference thing. I would measure those valves, they look pretty big. The TFS high port can take up to a 2.08" intake valve, and it looks like someone put a bigger valve in it.

Kurt

I am pretty confident I am correct on that. B303 cam will be no problem at all. A bigger cam would be nicer actually. Obviously that's a preference thing. I would measure those valves, they look pretty big. The TFS high port can take up to a 2.08" intake valve, and it looks like someone put a bigger valve in it.

Kurt
Yeah, definitely a decent size valve for sure. I’ll measure them and post it. It’s a primarily street driven car so I don’t want to get too crazy with the cam. It is a 5spd though and I have 3.73 gears so at least I don’t need to worry about a stall converter. I’m only even considering the heads because they came with a 66 coupe I bought for stupid cheap and already sold for 3x more what I paid for it and I kept the heads! Otherwise I’d probably buy a set of some AFR’s.

Yeah, definitely a decent size valve for sure. I’ll measure them and post it. It’s a primarily street driven car so I don’t want to get too crazy with the cam. It is a 5spd though and I have 3.73 gears so at least I don’t need to worry about a stall converter. I’m only even considering the heads because they came with a 66 coupe I bought for stupid cheap and already sold for 3x more what I paid for it and I kept the heads! Otherwise I’d probably buy a set of some AFR’s.

The B303 would probably hurt your street manners. Those are actually just as lumpy as a cam making more power. I know everyone preaches about a Custom cam, but the Custom Grinders will most likely go for max performance with less street manners. Most of the people here are fuel injection guys too. You can smooth out a lot of lumpiness with fuel injection. I'd go for a medium size Comp Cam before I went with a B303.

Those are great heads. You will have no problem reaching your goads with them. They also give you options. Like I said, they are classic hot rod head that has been out of production for a long time. I have not had much luck selling car parts, but it is not inconceivable that you could get enough money selling those to cover the cost of a set of aluminum heads that you want. If they were my heads, and I couldn't sell them for what I wanted to get out of them, I would be totally cool running them.

Kurt

I know everyone preaches about a Custom cam, but the Custom Grinders will most likely go for max performance with less street manners.

Isn't that why you fill out a form for a custom cam? I know FTI has you fill one out. It asks questions like RPM range and intended use as well as cylinder head brand and size, rocker arm ratio, cubic inches, intake, etc.

Isn't that why you fill out a form for a custom cam? I know FTI has you fill one out. It asks questions like RPM range and intended use as well as cylinder head brand and size, rocker arm ratio, cubic inches, intake, etc.

I am making a generalization. There are probably some good cam grinders that can grind a great cam for the street. However, I would say that most of the people spending the extra money on a custom cam are trying to squeeze every last HP out of the engine, like buying a carbon fiber driveshaft instead of just using an aluminum one for 1/3 the price. The custom cam grinding knowledge is more geared towards that end. It would be a great question for EdC.

Kurt