Help identifying '68-specific pedal assemblies.

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
Antelope Valley, SoCal
My car is going to put me in the poor house yet. The current situation is that my engine is nearly ready to install, now I need to compile the driveline. After getting a scattershield, clutch, and aluminum flywheel, I still need the whole clutch pedal and linkage assembly. I've been keeping a strict eye on Epay, but one problem remains......

I dont know exactly what the pedal I need looks like. I've seen numerous pedal sets and asseblies billed as either '67, '68, or both, but some of the pictures have been contradictory. I have the '68+ specific collapsable column. Can anyone post a picture of pedals that are without a doubt for a '68? I would greatly appreciate it(even more if you have pictures from an original '68 4spd car). Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

several of the aftermarket places have the pedals. Maybe Mustangs Plus, NPD or YearOne. You might also post this at Vintage-Mustangs.com for help. 67 and 68 are the same I believe and there are different brake pedals for auto and standard transmission. Power brakes have different pivot point for different leverage. Email me at [email protected] and I'll email pic of standard brake pedal if needed.

No, they are not the same. '68 brought the introduction of a collapsable steering column that is fatter between the pedals than that of a '67. The brake pedal arm has a larger bend in it, but.....I'm not worried about the brake pedal. I can use the one I have.

Also, NOBODY makes a reproduction 67+ clutch pedal. '65-66 yes, but 67 and later is left to used parts. I have yet to find a retailer that has them.

The concern I have about the clutch pedal is what the right one looks like. I have seen two styles people claim to be for '67-68, one is mostly straight and the other is a zig-zag. These things cost a fortune even in crappy condition and I want to make sure I have the right part.

Thanks ALOT :nice:. You have the "zig-zag" clutch pedal as I call it. I figure the straight one must be a '67 part and thus not what I need. Now I know what to look for and I'm really burned because I just passed up a set like that with both pedals, support, z-bar, and both rods for a good price.

Anyone is still welcome to post up as an added bonus.

BullittFB said:
Why don´t you try a clutch cable instead of the z bar?

Because I want the original setup. It may not be the best design, but I'm willing to overlook that. Also, cables stretch while solid metal levers and rods tend not to. I could machine up billet parts if I absolutely had to, but I still need a pedal.

68rustang said:
Why not just use a 68 pedal if you can find one. Changing over to a collapsible column would be a good idea as well.

This is the last time I'm going over this:

1.) 1968 was the first year of collapsing columns.
2.) I have a 1968 and thus already have a collapsing column.
3.) I am looking for a '68 pedal.....to fit around the collapsing column I already have.

Sorry, I didn't know which one you were looking for, sheesh.

Anyway, the z-bars have a tendency to bend and bind. Cables may strectch over time but a few turns of the adjustment nut and you are good for another 50,000 pedal strokes. Just my $.02 take it or leave it.

Sorry rustang for being short; this has just been a sore subject with me due to all the confusion and misinformation I've been turning up.

Also, I was out on a 9-day backpacking trip and my dad tried to help me out by getting a pedal on ebay I wasnt around to bid on. Now I see the picture, it sure looks like a '67.....