help identifying mysterious black box

carlp

Jun 26, 2005
All-
I have an unidentifed block box located above/near the drivers kick panel. It has a large grey connector going to it. My car is an 88 4cyl converted to carburetor v8. The car seems to run without this, but I am trying to find out what it is and what it did. The wiring appears to be burned connecting to it, so I am sure it is now no-functional. The part # is worn off but the top of it says TRW. Does anyone know what it is? Inside there is a circuit board with 2 relays and some resistors, transistors, diodes and 1 capacitor. It does not appear to be state of the art electronics. Please help!

• Sponsors (?)

I have attached the picure. Sorry it is not more clear, but my camera phone is not very good.

Attachments

• feb02_003.jpg
    feb02_003.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 166
The cooling fan in a 2.3 is controlled by the CCRM, which is in the engine compartment.

There should be an engineering number on it, which should look like a Ford part number. Something to the effect of E9AF-XXXXX-AA. What is that number, I will tell you what that box is.

The #'s are illegible. I found a wiring diagram in my Haynes manual and it shows an ac fan controller that might be the part. One of the main wires going to this thing is a yellow/grey wire. According to the maunal a yellow grey wire goes to the AC fan controller. Do you thin k this could be it?

The cooling fan controller for the 1988 2.3L is attached to the LH instrument panel support.

If you want to verify the wires they are as follows:

Yellow/Red
Orange/Black
Orange/Light Blue
Black
Brown/Yellow
Pink/Black
Black/Yellow
Gray/Yellow

The picture does not look quite right, but the wiring is dead on. Thanks for helping solve the mystery. I cut it out of the car tonight. The wires were burned near the connector and appeared to have been shorting out. I cut all of the wires back and sealed them off with shrink tape. -Probem solved.

The picture isn't the best representation, but it was the best I could find that clarified the location. The box should be wider and flat and I thought the connection was facing down instead of to the side.

Yes, I can confirm (since I'm re-wiring the car completely...) that is the module used to control the electric fan on 4cyl cars. Mine was burned up in my car as well, possibly a factory problem, most likely the result of some jackas* trying to incorrectly wire in a switch to their fan however...