Help in determining what gears??

4.6gtredline

Apr 2, 2004
I recently purchased a '00 gt vert. Upon installing a short shifter I noticed a Speed Cal from Dallas Mustang located under the shifter bezel. obviously this means gears were installed @ one time or another and Im trying to figure out what gears are actually in the rear end without disassembling everything. Anyone have suggestions?? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

There's a couple ways....look at the metal tag on the rear end housing. It will read something like 3A 27 for 3.27s etc. Also, you can rotate the back wheel and count how many times the drive shaft makes a revolution.

And I also heard driving at 70mph (I think) in 4th gear will show the gear ratio in RPM. For example, you might be at 3550 rpms for a 3.55 ratio etc.

Hope this helps.

Fred

if your bored, just get the car jacked up in the rear & make sure it's in neutral. make a mark somewhere on one of the rear tires, then turn the driveshaft one rotation. when your turning the driveshaft pay attention to the mark you made. if the tires go around, let's say, 3 & 3/4 times (more specifically 3.73 times), you would have 3.73 gears. or if the tires go around a little over 4 times, you have 4.10's, & so on......... hope it helps :nice:

4.6gtredline said:
Well i know there are already gears in the rear end oth3er than stock or else there would be no need for the speed cal i found under the shifter bezel correct??

Interesting. Open it up and find the dipswitch settings. Then compare the results with the Dallas Mustang website.

the easiest way is to check you rpm and a certain mph. then look at your rear tire size. once you have those two things it is a math problem. ther are calculators all over the internet that could tell you.

you can jack up the car turn both rear wheels one rotation. watch how many times the pinion spins. this works okay but hard to tell the difference between 4:10 and 4:30 that way.

Well that worked out great...just ran out to the car took 5 minutes to check the setting on the speedcal and I seem to have 3.73's. What is the gain by having these. Would a different combo be different. I am about to put some 18x10's on the rear and running nitrous. (I heard 3.73 are better for turbo or supercharged applictions)??