Help? installing Cobra ECM on 88 SD car

• Sponsors (?)

That is correct, the Cobra ECU requires 24lb injectors & MAF, but is otherwise the same. That is assuming your car is a 5spd. If yours is an AOD, the power signal wire in the AOD harness will fry that 5spd computer in a heartbeat.

That is correct, the Cobra ECU requires 24lb injectors & MAF, but is otherwise the same. That is assuming your car is a 5spd. If yours is an AOD, the power signal wire in the AOD harness will fry that 5spd computer in a heartbeat.

how so? you can run manual A9* computers in AOD cars?

how so? you can run manual A9* computers in AOD cars?

No you can't. The pinouts on the NSS through the O2 harness are different. You can run an AOD computer through a manual harness, but using a manual computer with an AOD harness will return voltage on a pin that should be grounded and potentially fry the computer

Thanks guys and yes I do have the 76mm mass air housing and 24# injectors

You can't use a MAF calibrated for 24# injectors. Unsure if this is what you are doing. Those calibrated MAF's work with the A9L/A9P/A9M computers, while the Cobra X3Z was designed to be used with the standard ford MAF and changes the calibration internally. Another way to say it is you want a MAF calibrated for 19's..but that is not technically correct as calibrated MAF's is pretty much aftermarket only.

In terms of performance, A9L/A9P is the way to go over the cobra eec. Lots of Cobra guys swap them out. Supposedly there is a hesitation over 2500 RPM that is cured by doing this

The 76mm (made by C&L, correct?) will work with the X3Z, but you have to use the 93 Cobra sensor AND the appropriate sample tube.
As 5L5 said... it isn't a direct swap with the A9* ecu's...

Check the C&L calibration page to verify what you will need...

What about a hessitation what does it do? Are you saying this may not of been such a good idea I had read on here that a cobra ecm was the thing to have???

no, i drive a 1993 cobra and im probably gonna switch to the a9l. the a9l is the most aggressive computer. i believe the cobra computer retards timing at WOT. c&l does sell a cobra 76 maf to work with it, but i wouldnt waste the time, id go for the a9l. just my .02

Are you saying this may not of been such a good idea I had read on here that a cobra ecm was the thing to have???

Cobra ECM is not really desirable....but a lot of people equate Cobra = best.

Great if you own a 1993 Cobra as you can sell your computer easy when you ditch it in favor of an A9L.

If you are doing a MA conversion...look for an A9L