Help me buy my first NEWER style mustang!!

jamesxcore4

Nov 24, 2009
ill start off with an introduction..

im 23 years old, ive built 65-69 mustangs with my dad all my life, owned five of them, currently own a 67 Fastback with all the GT500 body pieces (not that disgusting 'gone in 60 seconds' style). to be completely honest, i am somewhat scared of new cars because of all the new technology to hassle with. ive done all there is to do on 60's mustangs and have always had a secret obsession with 2000 to 20004 mustangs.

i am Selling my shelby clone (some Very detailed ads have already been posted) because i cant stand Not having a new mustang any longer

my goal

i want to have a track car to compete with all my friends BMW's, Subaru's, Porche's, and so on.

my questions for you

Q: i LOVE Kenne Bell supercharges, is there a better/cheaper decent alternative? (im looking at getting their 350+HP added kit to bolt on to a 03-04 cobra, for 5k)

Q: im looking at buying an 03-04 Cobra to have a strong stock block to work with (there are cheap sales for 10-16k), is this a smart investment for that price?

Q: would buying an 00-04 GT for 6-9k and upgrading internals be a better route than the cobra?

Q: is the cheapest route worth the hassle? (crate blocks / picking the bottom and top end myself, finding an 00-04 body in an auction or junkyard)

these are just the basics that i need to know of soon, as i want to make a purchase within the next few days to week.

so please throw some build suggestions / routes to take out there for me!

• Sponsors (?)

Well I think you should ask yourself exactly how much HP you want to get out of it before deciding on some crazy upgrades. I would bet you can get to about 550-600 hp with the stock blower on an 03/04 cobra... but if you want to be laying down 750+ then yeah upgrading the blower would be necessary I would think. I think those Cobras are an excellent deal, but you once you start looking at blower upgrades, the difference between a 750 hp cobra and a 750 hp GT probably won't be much if any monetarily... I've never seen a Cobra I'd want to purchase for under $15k... they usually go for 18-20 around here. At the same rate, you could probably find a decent 100k '99 GT (body style is same from 99-04) for under $7k and get a beefier block and throw that same blower on top of it... drop in a T56 and get a 9 bolt out back and see about the same performance.

But, that said it sounds like you've got some money to burn on this project, and with the Cobra you start with a decent block and internals and a stronger drivetrain... so it'd be easier to build the Cobra, even if the money invested comes out the same or more.

I'm just making some general projections though, I'm sure someone with hands on experience has some better/more accurate info.

yeah more and more the Cobra is sounding like my buy.

im seeing the Cobra's are 390HP stock. what kind of quick fixes/bolt ons could i do to my new Cobra that will get me the best boost in performance/handling for my buck?

oh and i know the 03-04 have a better engine build than the earlier years, but is there any difference between 03 and 04? should i go for one or the other?

One problem with a 03/04 Cobra as a track car is that with big 4V heads and a blower on top of an iron block, that thing is heavy and most of it's in the nose. I might go with an 4V with an aluminum block and build it to rev as high as possible, shave weight where ever you can, get a K-member that shoves the front wheels forward and then push the motor back. A solid axle isn't really a detriment if you're racing on smooth tracks either.

well as i was trying to say, i no longer have the place or quite the tools to do serious work (aside from bolt ons and other not too much of a hassle jobs).

with that being said, thats the one real deciding factor for my purchase. are those GT's well enough off bottom end for bolt on blower/head swap/so forth?

you can get about 425hp out of a 2v. some people run over 500 claiming that its perfectly fine ("its all in the tune") but from a reliability standpoint, its safe to stay below 425

how much power do you want?

If you're set on a blower car, then go with the 03/04 Cobra since they're already blown, they've got the stoutest short-block and power can be dialed up easily. I just think you'll end up with a understeer monster and every time you catch your BMW and Porsche friends in the straightaways, they'll leave you behind in the corners. Any Mustang is going to need a lot of work to hang with better balanced cars.

my goal

i want to have a track car to compete with all my friends BMW's, Subaru's, Porche's, and so on.

well as i was trying to say, i no longer have the place or quite the tools to do serious work (aside from bolt ons and other not too much of a hassle jobs).

A Cobra probably would be the best choice for you. A pulley swap, intake and exhaust, a tuner, and some suspension upgrades, and you're good to go. Of course, with more money, you can take it a lot further later on.

:flag:

Just wondering but is this gonna be a drag track car or are you planning on getting something to take turns? If I were you I'd get an 03/04 as many here will agree you can't go wrong. The pulley and tune combo is one thing these cars are known for. They make great drag cars but if you plan on turning than there's alot of other parts you're gonna be looking for.

Hmm I missed the part where you said you wanted to hang in the corners. I think you'd do best to just buy a Cobra, do a pulley swap on the stock blower and full exhaust and concentrate on removing weight from the front end and suspension mods. Tubular K-member, SFC's, and relocate the battery to the trunk for starters. You don't need 750 hp to hang with some silly euro sedans, 500 RWHp would leave them all in the dust, less perhaps a modded 911 turbo variant.