Help me decide what 4 Cyl to buy....I need something easy to work on..etc

gruvee87vertgt

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Chicago, Il
Well, my 5.7 Tahoe is killing me.

I need a 4 Cyl. but I am a bigger guy and need shoulder room and leg room.

can I get any recommendations? I want to spend around $10k or so.

I was thinking of a

Pickup truck...so I can loand and unload materials for my construction projects.

or a Neon Srt...but I think they look to small??

any ideas is appreciated. thanx

• Sponsors (?)

you could find a way newer one than one like mine for 10K like a 98 or maby a 2000 but I do like mine it's been a really good truck. 270,000 and the only thing that's been changed is the battery and alt and the normal wear items like tires and brakes and tie rods. And of course the oil I change that every 3000 Km's

Why would he go from a 97 5.7 tahoe to the exact same thing with a bed? I think he means gas is killing him.

I love my 2000 Ranger, we got it for 11,000 new. A srt would be more fun though. I only put $20 a week in it now.

i'm picking up a 96 Ranger supercab 4x4 later today. only 60,000 miles on the ticker. Seems like a good daily driver...4.0 V6 only gets around 18mpg though, or so i've heard. It'll be nice to be able to haul things around though.

i'll have pics up tomorrow prolly.

outlawjay said:
Why would he go from a 97 5.7 tahoe to the exact same thing with a bed? I think he means gas is killing him.

I love my 2000 Ranger, we got it for 11,000 new. A srt would be more fun though. I only put $20 a week in it now.

a ranger sounds cool....what engine do you have? how many miles do you drive? do you know what the mpg?

The Ranger is a 2.4 four banger with a 5 speed. It is a regular cab and I've clocked as much as 32 on the hwy in it. When I first got it, it was about 28-29 mpg on the highway, I guess they get better with age.

I go to college so I drive 60 miles on Sunday to get here and 60 miles back on Firday. I walk to school mostly, but drive to get something to eat about twice a day.

what about a 4.0L jeep wrangler? good gas milage and you can still have fun off road and with the top down. thats what my dad has a 2004 jeep rubicon and my brother has a 99 wrangler sport and they love them

SteedaGT9150 said:
what about a 4.0L jeep wrangler? good gas milage and you can still have fun off road and with the top down. thats what my dad has a 2004 jeep rubicon and my brother has a 99 wrangler sport and they love them

buddy.........I got a 2001 4.0 Wrangler..........it's terriable on gas.......I thought it would get decent highway mileage....not the case. it gets like 15 highway and maybe 13 street.

I got a for sale sign on it right now. I maybe might put it on ebay this weekend.

gruvee87vertgt said:
buddy.........I got a 2001 4.0 Wrangler..........it's terriable on gas.......I thought it would get decent highway mileage....not the case. it gets like 15 highway and maybe 13 street.

I got a for sale sign on it right now. I maybe might put it on ebay this weekend.

Man i'll second that. Right now i'm driving my coupe because it gets about the same mileage as my Cherokee 4.0, and at least it's more fun to drive. On top of that i've got Super Swampers on my Jeep so it's even worse. I think that's the only time i've ever heard "Jeep" and "good gas mileage" used in conjunction.