• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Help Me Read My Gear Pattern

  • Thread starter Thread starter adumb
  • Start date Start date Apr 4, 2015
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

TmanGT

Member
Feb 1, 2015
48
3
8
Apr 11, 2015
#21
  • Apr 11, 2015
  • #21
Let me know how that .012 works out. Like I said .009-.010
 
A

adumb

Member
Nov 27, 2007
108
7
19
Apr 11, 2015
#22
  • Apr 11, 2015
  • #22
I am trying my best. I obviously not a pro. Here are some more pics backlash is .009 just like you wanted it still the same .034 shim under threat pinion.

Out of all the pics in this whole silly thread which one do you like best. I am going to pick it and go with it.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 211
  • image.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 195
  • image.webp
    49 KB · Views: 185
  • image.webp
    52.3 KB · Views: 203

TmanGT

Member
Feb 1, 2015
48
3
8
Apr 11, 2015
#23
  • Apr 11, 2015
  • #23
.009 looks good
 
A

adumb

Member
Nov 27, 2007
108
7
19
Apr 11, 2015
#24
  • Apr 11, 2015
  • #24
.038 pinion shim backlash is at .010
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 195
  • image.webp
    47.6 KB · Views: 175

TmanGT

Member
Feb 1, 2015
48
3
8
Apr 11, 2015
#25
  • Apr 11, 2015
  • #25
Looking even better[emoji106]
 
A

adumb

Member
Nov 27, 2007
108
7
19
Apr 12, 2015
#26
  • Apr 12, 2015
  • #26
So these two pics is what I went with. Out the new bearing on and I think it was a touch thicker. I am pretty happy with it. Took the car for a drive and doesn't make any noise, maybe a touch on coasting but It is probably just in my head. Included a pic of my car also

.034 pinion shim and .008 backlash. 22 inch lbs of drag on the bearing
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    64.6 KB · Views: 197
  • image.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 171
  • image.webp
    135.2 KB · Views: 191

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
7,811
6,961
214
SW Houston
Apr 12, 2015
#27
  • Apr 12, 2015
  • #27
Good deal! Sorry I didn't get back to
you sooner
 

TmanGT

Member
Feb 1, 2015
48
3
8
Apr 12, 2015
#28
  • Apr 12, 2015
  • #28
Looks good man! Who pressed the gears on for you?
 
A

adumb

Member
Nov 27, 2007
108
7
19
Apr 12, 2015
#29
  • Apr 12, 2015
  • #29
Since it was only the one bearing I tried the oven trick like Hoopty mentioned. Put it in the toaster oven outside for 20 minutes at 250 and when I took it out the bearing just about slide on with any tapping at all. Used a small piece of pvc and it only took a small tap to get it down the rest of the way. I wore safety glasses because someone said that pvc can shatter.

I learned a ton and would be way quicker with it next time.
 

TmanGT

Member
Feb 1, 2015
48
3
8
Apr 12, 2015
#30
  • Apr 12, 2015
  • #30
You the man adumb! Where are you located? I really like that foxbody looking good man
 

FoxMustangLvr

I love my Pimp
SN Certified Technician
Oct 14, 2012
4,968
3,514
204
Spokane, Wa
Apr 14, 2015
#31
  • Apr 14, 2015
  • #31
adumb said:
So these two pics is what I went with. Out the new bearing on and I think it was a touch thicker. I am pretty happy with it. Took the car for a drive and doesn't make any noise, maybe a touch on coasting but It is probably just in my head. Included a pic of my car also

.034 pinion shim and .008 backlash. 22 inch lbs of drag on the bearing
Click to expand...

After my gear install I have a hint of whining when I let off the gas and let the RPMs wind down while coasting. The whine goes away during acceleration or if I put it in neutral or push in the clutch and coast. The guy that installed them said he'd re-shim it again for free. I may as well learn to do it my dang self like you did.

Good job!
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3
Eight inches is enough for me...
  • 351MooseStang
  • Nov 27, 2025
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
5
Views
681
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Mar 2, 2026
Bullitt347
S
Drivetrain 8.8 Pinion and 302 rear main seal leaks after replacing. 93 5.0 with t-5
  • Steigy4827
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
775
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 1, 2026
Steigy4827
S
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
342
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
G
Expired 2013 Ford Mustang V6 (Grabber Blue) 3:55 gears... Excellent Condition.
  • Grabberblueguy77
  • Nov 19, 2025
  • S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14)
Replies
2
Views
547
S197 Mustangs For Sale (2005-14) Mar 11, 2026
Grabberblueguy77
G
B
2010 V8 4.6 5 speed won't go into gear while running
  • Back road driver
  • Dec 30, 2024
  • 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech
Replies
3
Views
553
2010 - 2014 Specific Tech Jan 30, 2025
89ripper
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?