Help me swap my Fuel Pump, and 1/2 tank of gas :(

staticc

Founding Member
Sep 28, 2002
Jupiter, FL
picked up a bbk 190LPH fuel pump to swap in. because mine just quit working one day. and i have little under 1/2 tank of gas.. i tried snaking a hose into my tank to siphen some gas out. but i couldnt get it all the way down to suck the gas out... just got a big mouthful of fumes :mad:

maybe theres too little to siphen it out well? how else can i empty the tank before i drop it out?

and info or directions to empty my tank or drop it... or swap the pump would be great.

thanks
derek

• Sponsors (?)

Beware of fire hazard from fuel vapor and spilt fuel. Don't do this in your garage if you have a gas water heater - the pilot can cause the fuel vapor to flash. Beware of all other forms of heat or ignition, including static electricty.

Disconnect the fuel pressure line at the coupling behind the alternator. Connect your drain hose to it. Turn the ignition switch to run, but don't try to start the car. To trick the fuel pump into running, find the ECC test connector and jump the connector in the lower RH corner to ground. See http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/electronics/eec-iv_codes.html for a description of the test connector. The pump will then pump all the fuel out of the tank that it can get.

jrichker said:
Beware of fire hazard from fuel vapor and spilt fuel. Don't do this in your garage if you have a gas water heater - the pilot can cause the fuel vapor to flash. Beware of all other forms of heat or ignition, including static electricty.

Disconnect the fuel pressure line at the coupling behind the alternator. Connect your drain hose to it. Turn the ignition switch to run, but don't try to start the car. To trick the fuel pump into running, find the ECC test connector and jump the connector in the lower RH corner to ground. See http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/electronics/eec-iv_codes.html for a description of the test connector. The pump will then pump all the fuel out of the tank that it can get.

thanks for the tips to not blowing myself up..
lucky me i picked up a spring lock coupling tool a couple weeks ago.
i know where the fuel line is that youre talking about, but im lost with this jumping the EEC to a ground thing....

plus, my fuel pump doesnt work, wont prime when i turn the key.
i never investigated the reason why. i just said hell with it its time for a bigger pump either way.

The FP test pin, when grounded, runs the fuel pump continuously- but that's just FYI. You won't deal with that pin for these tests.

awesome, i understand that part now :D
just took a bit of reading to find it

$hit why waste all that time? just put a 2x4 under the tank undo the 2 straps and lower it with a Jack(filler kneck already dis-connected of course). use a hammer and a screw driver to twist around the circle thingie that seals the pump in the tank and pull her out.

Strike One said:
feel stupid for asking this but to jump the fuel pump would you put a wire in the lower rh corner and then ground it to a screw or something? Sorry I don't electrical basics :shrug: :(

You got it right... :spot:

wow that was the easiest way i could have ever done it.

i actually got my old fuel pump working again. so i took off my upper intake to change my fuel regulator. disconnected the incoming fuel rail with my coupling tool. took a old washing machine hose. and ran it to a 5gallon fuel bucket. jumped that FP Test pin to a good ground. and bang. started pumping away.

i did it a couple times until it was bone dry.
now at least the other black mustang has a full tank from this :nice: