Help, my electric fan wont work..just finished wiring it

I just finished wiring my fan and it wont turn on. I know the fan works because I tested it on the battery before hand. This is how I wired it. The guy at the local automotive electric place gave me a 5 pin relay and told me not to worry about the one wire in the middle.

I hope my bad drawing makes sense. There are 4 wires being used on the relay.
untitled-3.jpg

Attachments

• untitled-3.jpg
    untitled-3.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Sponsors (?)

i see that the fan gets power from the battery through the relay... but how does the relay get power? you have the relay hooked to ground, and the toggle also hooked to ground. i would recommend connecting the toggle to power (with a fuse of course, like 5A, just for the switch and relay)

so youre saying the relay power and the fan-through-relay power are connected to the same wire? ok...so when you close the switch you should be grounding the relay. are you sure you have the relay connected right? they usually have a diagram on the side.

so youre saying the relay power and the fan-through-relay power are connected to the same wire? ok...

ok sorry if I bad at explaining things .

Battery power --------> one connection on relay
fan power-----------> another connection on relay
ground------------> relay to chassis ground
toggle power-----> relay to toggle switch.

Then the fan is grounded seperately and so is the toggle switch.

Does that sound right?

ok sorry if I bad at explaining things .

Battery power --------> one connection on relay
fan power-----------> another connection on relay
ground------------> relay to chassis ground
toggle power-----> relay to toggle switch.

Then the fan is grounded seperately and so is the toggle switch.

Does that sound right?

your issue sounds like it is with the relay coil.
you have it grounded.
this is fine. however, it sounds like you have one side of the switch to the other side of the relay coil, and the other side of the switch grounded.

you need power to one side of the relay coil for it to work.

Ohhhhh!!! So I need to run the switch from a hot wire (cause I want to be able to turn my fan on when the car is off, to the relay). So now, I run a hot wire to the switch, and then run the other terminal on the switch to the relay. So it doesnt get ground to the chassis??

right! and dont forget to put a fuse between the battery and the switch.

so it will go, battery, fuse, switch, relay, ground

alternatively it could go, battery, fuse, relay, switch, ground...with the switch on the ground side. that is how the computer controls relays and things.

it doesnt matter which one has power, as long as there is ONE power and ONE ground on the relay coil circuit.