Help... need a new fuel pump, which one?

HaynStang

Dec 16, 2006
Portland
So my fuel pump completely died on me the other day and I need a replacement ASAP. I see there are a lot of choices out there for the EFI 5.0's... I need something inexpensive but also reliable, my car is a daily driver that sees a lot of use.

I have heard good things about the Walbros, which I would probably have to order, or I might be able to get a Holley or an Edlebrock locally. Is any one of these pumps better quality than the others?

As far as flow rates, I see most people on here are running a 190. Is that going to be suitable for a stock 5.0L? I've heard the car will see no diference between an 88 and a 190 as it only uses as much fuel as it needs, but a 255 may be too much if you don't need the flow. True? Do the larger pumps (i.e. 255, 190, 155) have a shorter lifespan than smaller ones, or are they all the same?

I know I will need a new in-tank strainer and should install a new fuel filter at the same time. Is there anything else I will need to complete the installation? A gasket for where the pickup assembly meets the tank or anything like that? How about any special tools to R&R the pump? My car won't even start, so I want to grab all the supplies at once.

Thanks in advance, I did search, but most of the fuel pump threads I found were regarding modded cars and I want to make sure I get the correct one for my engine which doesn't have HCI or a SC yet.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as all i know, most of the brands of pumps are all made by Walbro. Walbro sells em the cheapest, so just get that.

I'd go 190 minimum. If you plan on high power later on, maybe get the 255 or 255 hi-flow.

Other things you will need are a new gas filler neck gasket as i have yet to change a pump and fail to tear one of those old brittle gaskets up

The holley I bought a couple years ago was a walbro... Not sure if it is still the case that they rebadge them. For a H/I/C a 190 will be just fine. If you are ever going to some sort of forced induction or N02 I would suggest a 255.
Kevin

Thanks for the link... that's an awesome price on the Walbros...

so should I just get a 255lph then? It won't cause my car to run rich or anything, even at idle?

I'd like to go SC in the future, so having the bigger pump in place would be cool, but if I did it would definately be under 10 lbs of boost and still on stock HCI... or I may just go with a mild HCI setup, who knows... I'm talking 1-2 years down the road either way.... so I don't want to go with something that will be massive overkill either.

The fuel pressure regulator will take car of the excess gas. The fuel pump has nothing to do with how rich your system will run. Just how much gas gets recycled back into the tank.
Kevin

For boosted applications, you need to be looking at 190 or 255lph.

For your application or even N/A, a 190lph is plenty.

A higher amp drawing (runs a bit hotter?) lph pump like a 255lph, technically may not last as long as a lower rating, at is it stairs effect.

A 155lph or 190lph is plenty for you, and even a stock 88 or 95lph fuel pump is just fine for you as well.

The fuel pumps are return fuel style systems, so it does return fuel you do not use back to the tank.

They are cheap and easy to replace, so just get what you need right now, in my opinion:shrug:

Well, I called JD's and with their advice decided to just order a gss340. I might as well be one step closer to putting a blower on the car which has been my goal for it all along. :D

They were definately very helpful on the phone. Thanks again guys for the reccomendation.