Fox Help on how to repair valvetrain. Damaged valve.

93CalypsoConvert

Nov 26, 2020
Virginia
I have a 302 with very old cylinder heads on it. They are still using the cast iron rockers. I have a damaged exhaust valve and I'm not quite sure what happened to it.
The following is the damage to it:
-Bent pushrod
-Bent rocker stud
-Worn rocker tip
-Hammered and mushroomed valve stem
I removed the valve spring and the valve moves freely up and down.

I have little information about this engine.
The car sat in a field for 21 years. I was able to make it run and drive it out. I did make sure all valves were free before I attempted to rotate the engine after it sat.

Based on the fact that the valve is worn and mushroomed over, I imagine this was going on for a while when it was still being driven. Sparkplug looks excellent.
IMG_5408.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Seems like a sticking valve issue. It doesn't take long to beat the valvetrain up. Could've been a rocker adjustment that was extremely too tight also. Once the valve can't open any further the pushrod will bend. The extra slop from the bent pushrod will tap and hammer that rocker tip to death. You could mushroom that valve pretty quick with a 2 lb hammer.

After sitting so long the only way to really tell is to pull the head off. Valve may move freely when turned over slow. Doing it at 5k rpm is a whole nother story.

The rocker nut was tight and all the way down on the stud. I do have a pair of E5 heads laying around. Maybe I'll just throw those on. They are set up for the stamped rockers.

Once the head is off, what specific things should I look for?