help out a newb

thojoewen86

Apr 13, 2004
im 17 and i have a 87gt 5spd with a GT40 crate motor with the B303 cam, gt40 heads and valve train,etc. the engine is supposed to make 345hp at the crank like that but it now has a cobra intake manifold, fenderwall CAI, off road h pipe, headers, 65mm tb, 180stat. just curious how much that prolly is to the wheels and wut do u recomend to boost that number. remember i am 17 and this is my daily driver. On top of all that im putting in 3.73s, steeda lower control arms, FRPP uppers, wut kinda of times should i expect now and after the rear end work? thanx for the help, im trying to learn as much as i can, any info will help.

• Sponsors (?)

I would say 300 at the wheels easily but not 100% sure. Go to a dyno and check it out for sure.

Your going in the right direction though. :nice:
I'd add these to your list of new mods:
Subframe connectors, drag radials, and some battle boxes.

thanx

thanks for the reply. my neighbor / friend has his own shop a few houses away where he builds mostly rear enginge dragsters / funnycars, etc. he used to build up a lot of 5.0s a little while back and had some subframe connecters laying around so im getting those for dirt cheap. what are battle boxes and what do they do?

I'm gonna guess more around 280-285 at the wheels.......which is around 322-327 at the flywheel. The GT-40 engines are usually overrated a little from the factory.....but that doesn't mean that they don't make some serious power. With that kind of power and good traction you can get into the high 12's in the 1/4.

Battle Boxes are reinforcements for you TQ boxes which your lower control gets attached too. If your pushing alot of HP and running slicks you can bend/rip your TQ boxes. It's a good idea to have them welded up so you dont rip your TQ boxes. It'll save you alot of money in the long run. Espically if you run it hard on the street.

When you get your subframes see if they come with seat reinforements. It's just a extra bar that runs perpendicualr with your subframes under the seats. This willl prevent your driver side seat to have "gangsta lean".

Those are the Fox body weak points: the TQ boxes and the driver side seat gangsta lean.