Help - P0430 OBD-II Trouble Code

Dubl10

Apr 1, 2005
Help,

My CEL just came on and I checked it with the XCal to see what code it was throwing and it's:

P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Now, let me explain my mods that I've done to my car. First was a throttle body spacer, then a Steeda CAI with a tune by XCal 2. Then I got SLP Loudmouth exhaust. And recently (like 2 weeks ago) I put Kooks 3v Long Tube headers with cats on my car.

Now today when I got into my car I noticed the CEL was on, so I used the Xcal to see what error code was being thrown and it's the P0430. Below is a description. Anybody know why? And what do I need to do to fix this. Should I go back to the muffler and exhaust place who installed my headers for me and tell them about it or should i take it to a dealership? Where should I go?

Some said to go ahead and reset the code and see if it comes back, I did that and it came back about 4 days later.

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

What does that mean?Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 2 (passenger side) is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

SymptomsYou will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a rough/hard idle when cold.

CausesA code P0430 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
There is an exhaust leak
Possible SolutionsThe simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

Then inspect for exhaust leaks.

Next step is to measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 2 (the passenger side rear sensor, or the sensor after the converter). The voltage should be low and steady (~200mV, depends on the vehicle). If the voltage varies (e.g. 100mV to 600mV) then it's time to replace the catalytic converter. In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2 sensor while you're at it.

One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.

• Sponsors (?)

check your connections for the O2s and exhaust leaks first. see if that helps out. dont forget to reset after you check these to be sure if it fixes the problem or not. i would avoid the dealer as they will point to the headers and charge you a diagnostic fee.

bigcat said:
check your connections for the O2s and exhaust leaks first. see if that helps out. dont forget to reset after you check these to be sure if it fixes the problem or not. i would avoid the dealer as they will point to the headers and charge you a diagnostic fee.

so should I take it back to the muffler place where they installed my headers for me then? cause I don't know how to check my connections and exhaust leaks.

just try to snap the plug-in connectors together a little better. you should be able to feel air passing over your hand of there is a leak. with the car running (careful it get HOT quickly), put you hand near the connection points in the exhaust pipe. if you feel a pulsing of air, you found the leak. you could take it back to the exhaust shop, but i am not sure what they will do, other than try to tighten all connections. its worth a try.

I took off my cats when I installed my X-Pipe and now have this code. I'm just deleting my rear O2 sensors with my Diablo and getting it all cleared up. Has to do with the rear O2s though...

Well someone who has installed the same headers with cats as I did, mentioned this:

I'm sorry, I thought you all knew this. you MUST turn off the aft o2 sensors or this code will be thrown. Can be done in a minute with a hand held...

Regards,

Now i have a hand held tuner, so okay I'll go ahead and to this.

But, I came across this little bit of info...

If you have your cats deleted the rear O2 sensors can be turned off so you do not get a check engine light.

I didn't have my cats deleted, I have the kooks headers with the cats, so should I even be having this problem to begin with?

I get some people saying I should turn the rear sensors off and others saying for me to check my connections for the O2s and exhaust leaks first, like bigcat mentioned.

I'm confused! :shrug:

Well, getting the error code, throwing a CEL, should not happen with the catted system! Someone I know has had both and had NO prob with the catted system! I have to check for leaks and that the O2 sensors are properly connected.

I did that, by driving my car up onto a curb so that I could squeeze underneath there, i looked at it and to me everything seems fine, although I really don't know what i'm looking at. Not an expert by any means. I erased the code and I'll see if it comes back on. If it does, i guess i'll have to take it back to the place that installed it and have them look at it.

not supprising you got a code w/ long tubes...cats work more efficiently with hotter exhaust gasses. w/ long tubes the exhaust gasses are significantly cooler once they reach the cats. just use your tuner and turn off the O2 sensors.

also, unless the tune on board your hand-held is specifically set up for your mods. i'd suggest getting a dyno tune to 1) get the most out of it, 2) make sure A/F is ok.

the rear o2 sensors have to be working to set this code because they are switching indicating that the cat is not working at the minimum threshold. If it were a stock system it is almost always a bad cat. Now assuming that there are no leaks in the exhaust system and the cats weren't dropped or obviously damaged by the installer I would probably take the problem to the cat manufacturer and try to get it warrantied. If you end up turning off the rear o2 sensors to eliminate the problem then at minimum I would ask for a replacement non catted pipe and a refund for the difference in price. After all you paid extra to keep the cats in the first place. Good luck

FLYIN said:
the rear o2 sensors have to be working to set this code because they are switching indicating that the cat is not working at the minimum threshold. If it were a stock system it is almost always a bad cat. Now assuming that there are no leaks in the exhaust system and the cats weren't dropped or obviously damaged by the installer I would probably take the problem to the cat manufacturer and try to get it warrantied. If you end up turning off the rear o2 sensors to eliminate the problem then at minimum I would ask for a replacement non catted pipe and a refund for the difference in price. After all you paid extra to keep the cats in the first place. Good luck

But I don't want a replacement non catted pipe, I want the catted pipe. I want my car to be legal. The place that installed my headers wouldn't even install all of this unless I had cats, because it's against the law without them.

So I guess I should call the manufacturer about this?

Once again, I'm sure that the aftermarket cats w/the headers are doing their job...just not to the same specs that the factory exhaust was. Just because the car is throwing that code doesn't meant he cats are defective, just that your exhaust isn't running to the factory specs for the o2 sensors. Just turn off the o2 sensors as mentioned and don't worry about it.