Help Problems w Electric Fan and IAB SENSOR

raininfire

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2002
Northern VA
Heres the run down, my idle wanders from 1000-1500 and sometimes sticks at 1500. I used to be able to shut down the car and restart and it would be fine. So this weekend I cleaned the IAB sensor with carb cleaner and the throttle body. Thought everything was well, nope. Today its back up again. I disconnected the iab at idle and it dropped down, does this mean its time for a new one?

Electric fan problem. I just installed a proform Electric fan due to being in the city I figured it would help since I sit in traffic all the time. Last night it ran great, today driving through dc not in traffic temps rose to 225. And yes the fan was running. Shut down the car and let the fan keep running, returned the temp to normal. Here is my cooling system:
-New coolant
-FMS Radiator
-Electric Fan
-Stock water pump
-Stock tstat (195?)

Please help out guys, I am going nuts.

• Sponsors (?)

was the KAM cleared after cleaning the IAC?

On the fan, are you sure it pulls enough CFM's? It sounds like it did alright in the cooler night air, but in more congestion and heat (of day), it was not doing so hot.

You can do some things like sealing around the fan shroud to ensure all possible air is pulled through the coil.

Good luck.

what do u mean by kam? I sprayed inside the IAC and it was pretty black on one side, and cleaner on the other. I just sprayed, should I have used a que-tip or something? And the fan is completly sealed around the radiator. It pulls 2800cfm, that should be fine right for a barely modified engine?

The KAM is the computer's memory. Since cleaning the IAC changes how it will perform, clearing the KAM and letting the puter start over can help it learn faster (if it was dirty, it would have to have a high duty cycle. clean it and now that same high duty cycle will raise the idle too much).

I would want to be sure you have no vac leaks - that can cause a high idle and hanging idle. A stockish motor should pull almost 20" hg of vac at idle.

Good luck.

I had this problem with my car before as well. What cured it for me was a combination of cleaning throttle body, IAC, and cleaning it thoroughly. Then set your base idle to correct way, reset computer, unplug IAC, start car set idle and then set idle with accesory drag until you get it where you want it. Then set the volatage on your TPS to .98-.99. Worked wonders for me, still have the occasional high idle but it only fluctuates about 100 rpm and is rare. Give it a try and good luck.