Help putting T-5 back together

Jason 302

10 Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
Newark, Ohio
I cracked my tailshaft so I took the tranny out and found another tailshaft on ebay, same exact tailshaft so no issure there. I also took the top gearbox cover and bearing retainer off to see the condition of the internals. Well, I think I've figured out how the top cover goes back on but the tailshaft seems to put a lot of drag on the gears when I bolt it down tight. It seems to be down on the bottom right where 5th gear sticks out behind the gearbox. The old tailshaft does the same thing so there is no difference between the two. I'm I missing something here? I know almost nothing about tranny's so help me out guys. Oh, and is there any trick to getting that stupid little spring and ball below the shifter back in place? It's driving me nuts. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Your bearing race on the back of the tranny probably isn't going in straight. When you have the tailshaft housing off, make sure the race is in as far as possible. As far as the little ball, put he ball in the detent, put the spring in the shift block and hold it down tight against the ball. Slide the tailshaft housing onto the shift rail while holding the block down tight. I don't think it will go in after the tailshaft housing is already on.