Help...ran engine with no oil pressure!

purplemaztang

Aug 7, 2006
How it goin, everyone? Thanx in advance to anyone who contributes to the answer for my question. So here's my situation. I just bought a motor out of a 1987 mustang with 76000 on it. After I got it, I pulled the pan to check bearings and I took the intake off to check lifters. Everything checked out ok and I coated everything up with engine assembly lube. I put the motor in my car, set everything up, and started it. Keep in mind that I was pumping cold hose water through the cooling system while running it for the first time because of a large whole in my radiator. After a few minutes at an idle, I began to notice that the tapping from the rockers wasn't going away. I then turned off the vehicle and after inspecting the motor I found it had a broken oil pump drive shaft. So here is my question:

What damage could have been done to this engine from running it for 5 minutes with no oil pressure? It was only ran at an idle, I was pumping 50 degree water constantly through it, and many of the moving components were coated with assembly lube. Please tell me what you would do in my situation. By the way, I am replacing the oil pump and shaft.

Thanx, Christian

• Sponsors (?)

Well, a few bad things could have happend, probably not, but you still may want to check and see if everything is good. Assembly lube doesn't last long in a motor under it's own power. I would recomend checking your main and rod bearings and making sure they aren't shot. As far as your top end, i don't imagine any problems.

Walls

I agree with Wallzy, I bet your engine is just fine but you may want to look into it a little more just to be safe. I once drove my car for about 2 miles with NO oil pressure due to a broken oil pump drive shaft and had no damage to any of the bearings, lifters, etc.