Help ...reinstalling factory front springs.....tommrrow!! need input...

Andre G

Apr 24, 2004
alright got an 02 GT.... trying to reinstall stock springs... in front need to get A-Arm as far down as possible I tried one attempt and couldnt get it so ya need to do it again tommrrow..... I removed sway bar link and lower strut bolts.. trying to get arm to drop down...what else can I get to drop it down farther to get the stock spring in thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Just take the caliper off (two bolts) then let it dangle or tuck it behind the strut,take out the sway bar end links,Put a jack under the A arm,loosen the strut from the TOP,slowly and carfully let the jack down to release the spring's tention,then pull down on the strut to get it to clear the fender without hurting it (fender) and drop the spring out! Let me know if you need futher help.........jj :flag:

Andre G said:
also what bolts need to be removed for the caliper??

There is only two so dont worry. You can do this with simple hand tools,they are on the top in the back of the brake shoe or the caliper.I think they are 10mm but not positive also you should get a "c" clamp and compress the pistons in the caliper before you take off the bolts. (just squeze the clamp together on the back of the caliper and the front of the brake pad but not too hard) Doing that will make it easy to slip the caliper back on after you get the springs back in. any more questions just ask away...............jj :flag:

Was reading my newly aquired from Helm 02 Mustang shop manual the other night and the process they recommend is to get a spring compressor in there, remove the control arm bolts on the K-member (leaving the tie-rod, ball joint, the brake, the strut and everything else alone) and lowering the rear of the control arm till the spring can be removed. The compressor can then be taken off on a bench.

If you've got a compressor that'll fit this might be a good way to approach it.