Help Removing Shifter in 02 GT (3650)

5speed

Aug 6, 2011
PA
Hey Everyone,
I was trying to remove my shift handle today to replace it. I removed everything all the way down as directed, including the 4 screws holding the shifter in place. Unfortunately, whatever RTV sealant is used to hold the shifter down is holding stronger than super glue. I tried sitting on the center console and pulling the shift handle upward, side to side, etc and could not get it to come off for the life of me. I finally wore myself out after 2 hours of trying and gave up. Anyone had any experience with this? Any ideas are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

You basically need to put the shifter handle back on, move the lever over to the far left (or right) and bang the lever hard with the palm of your hand to break the seal. It's not elegant but it works.

BTW, if you put the four bolts back in about half-way you can reduce the chance of the shifter moving too far when doing this...

I just put some man on it and it came right up if there is any way you can get underneath with a long screw driver and a hammer to get it to budge but pulling back on it with screws half way in is easiest way to do it just put the shifter on and pull back with all your weight

Just an update on an old thread, for those who might have problems with this in the future. I found a way to get my shifter off.

What DID NOT work:
1) Pulling at it, trying to rock it back and forth... sitting on center console and lifting up with my whole body.
2) Beating it to hell with a rubber mallet, tried this, and even my buddy tried this, couldn't get it to come free.
3) Bought a seal puller from Advance Auto Parts; I was able to get under it with this, but still could not get it to come free.

What DID work:
4) I went under the car and used a screwdriver to wedge the thing into a corner that was overhanging (on mine it was the corner by the driver rear). I banged it in a little (was kinda awkward because I had to have one hand over the H-pipe and one under. Then I moved it up and down while my buddy pulled upwards, and I was able to get it free.

BTW, the tip about screwing it down halfway was great, that way my buddy didn't get smacked in the face or trans fluid didn't shoot everywhere (hanging on the ball) when he pulled it out.