help replacing ignition coil.

p.exeter_bleu

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
El Paso,TX
ok i took out my stock coil, and i noticed a plastic insulator around the box that is around the coil itself, i figured it was important so i put the plastic insulator around my new crane coil, and now i cant get the coil mounting bracket to screw in! i cant even slide the OEM one in and get that top screw from the bracket in. i know the bracket needs to be grounded, so my question is can i leave the top screw out(bracket has two other screws grounding) or do i have to get it in somehow? if i need it in, do you guys have any recomendations on how to go about installing this? i like the way the fireball mounting bracket looks but i dont have room to mount it. :shrug:

thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

im not sure what it is your trying to reinstall. I would say if the new coil didnt come with it, it prolly dont need to be back on. have any pics to show us?

ok the stock ignition coil is held to the drivers side shock tower by a mounting bracket, i took out the stock coil, the stock coil has a plastic insulator on it, i took it off the stock one and put it on my crane one, thinking that it needed it, i installed the crane coil to the bracket, however the top bracket screw which i unscrewed to pull out the original coil, is too far from the tower to mount the bracket. is this top screw on the bracket necessary? or do i have enough grounding with the other two screws throughout the bracket? and back to the insulator, if i take it off the coil might have a better chance of fitting, but is it ok if the plastic insulator(plastic box shaped trimming) around the coil is removed? im sorry i dont have pictures i hope you guys can still help me out. its hard to explain. thanks for your patience.

Like the others, I'm a bit confused about the part you're talking about but it sounds as if the pice that you are attempting to mount is in there in such a way that the last screw is too short to draw the bracket in how you think it should be. Either loosen the other two screws and start them all before tightening or see if you can draw it down with a longer third screw.

If its a PS92 Fireball(in picture) and it doesnt have the bracket it with it. Call Crane and tell em you can't use it becuase you dont have a bracket. They should break down and send you the nice bracket thats on the coil pictured. I ordered mine from Jegs and it came with this nice bracket on it, but I have heard that some places dont send em with the bracket. I would call Crane and tell em your situation and i'd say the would send you the bracket.

2707300092.jpg

Dave

Attachments

• 2707300092.jpg
    2707300092.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 116
dave, it came with that bracket, but i dont have room in my stock engine bay to mount it.

Daggar you hit the nail on the head, ill try getting a longer screw, i just thought it was odd that it doesnt just sit back in like i thought it should. thanks for the help guys.

p.s. any advice on what is easy to move around in order to free-up space for the crane bracket?(it looks alot nicer but if its too much hassle ill just struggle with the stock location sans the crane bracket).