Help. (searched and tried another thread previously)

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
Joplin, Missouri
My 92 has some windshield wiper problems.

First problem I had was when I turned on the wipers they would not turn off. So I think its either a switch or a motor problem. So first off I replace the switch. This leads to the second problem.

Second: Now they can turn off but only sometimes. I have both fast and slow wiping but no intermittent. So I think its got to be the motor. This leads to problem three.

Third: I replace the motor and check all the linkage to make sure there are no binds in it. The motor now can be turned on and of and completely controlled but with on drawback. They only work when turned to the "high" position. Then they only work at the "fastest intermittent" speed. So Bad dad and I did some minor test by unplugging each of the motor wire harnesses one at a time to see if we could get them to do something different. This leads to problem four.

Fourth: Now the wipers are either fast or intermittent depending on which plug we take off. So we are back to square one and think its a wiring problem. This leads to problem five.

Fifth: I take apart the dash last night, drop the collum to get a better idea and picture of the wiring. I see nothing out of the ordinary except how ghetto my tach is wired in. Problem six.

Sixth (and last as of now): The tach was wired into my fuse box but instead of using one of the open fuses they wired it into the wipers (#2) for the ignition power and another (don't remember but for the lights to come one w/the head lights I assume).

Now my question/problem its....... WTF!!!!!!!

I unplugged all the tach wiring to ease in the trouble shooting. The fuse is obviously good or nothing would be working. I know there is a wiper relay but those don't usually just have part of them stop working. They are usually all or nothing.

Anyone who has ever has any or some experience here please help. I am pulling my hair out and have no clue what else to do.

• Sponsors (?)

Start from the beginning. The first thing I would do would be to disconnect EVERY aftermarket item you have wired into the fuse box. Basically un-do it all and revert all of that stuff to stock. Now you will be able to get a handle on your problems one by one, without the aftermarket stuff confusing the situation.

Once you have done that, start with the connector to the multi-function switch itself. The grey, plastic connector that holds all the wires tends to become brittle. Pull on each wire from the back of the connector and see if any of them come out. There are little plastic "hooks" inside the hardshell connector that hold the terminal ends in place, those are what usually break...causing bad connections. You can get the hardshell connector at your local dealer for a few bucks. Once you have ALL the wires nicely snug in the connector, reconnect the switch and see where you are at that point.

I have seen that connector drive people crazy more often than the switch or the motor itself. Check that first.

my wipers had a similar problem. and there is a littel box under the dash that controls the different speed settings and if i used those setings it would go off and i would have to get out of my car and unplug the motor but i found if you cut the green wire on the box it allows you to use the high and low settings normally but you can use the slower speeds. i nkow this is ghetto but it worked for me, cause at the time i coudnt afford to replace it.

What does this box look like? I had a similar problem on a 97 ranger and they replaced a box under the dash to fix it but wasn't sure if a 92 would have it or if it would be built into the motor/switch.

Anyone have a pic of said box or a description of what it looks like?

What does it look like? I just recently bought this car and most off the chit under the dash is not attached to where it used to be. From what I can tell none of it has been hacked up but then again its been a while since I owned a fox so I don't have much to compare it too. Is this said box white?

The interval governor is olive in color. Usually when the governor goes out you have HI speed only. It's mounted upside down compared to the pic.

wipergovsw2038ut4.jpg