HELP - shes eatin batteries!

1988stangGT5.0

May 8, 2008
Just picked up a '88 gt - Ate the last battery and I wasn't sure if that battery was new or not so I Threw a new battery in her and she ate this one too.

Starter=New - Battery=New - Alternator=New - Relay tested and correct

Where do I go from here? it was semi intermittent for about a week, but today she just died and wouldn't start even with a jump? Acts like a normal dead battery like when the lights are left on - trys to roll over but just not enough oomph to crank the motor.

Any Ideas what to check next? Coil Maybe?

Dan
5.0 Newbie

Attachments

• stang22.JPG
    stang22.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 103
  • Sponsors (?)

Have the charging system dynamically tested at the parts store or take the alt and battery each in for a bench test. I've received bad versions of each right out of the box.

Good luck.

It sounds like there is a slow draw on the battery, I'd check around the car for an open circuit like the crappy light button on the visors or the hood light for example.

How are your battery terminals, if they look like crack powder then they wont work very well. Also if somethings new doesnt mean that its good, I had a bad regulator on alternator that drained the battery when I got my stang years ago.

Check all of your connections. Disconnect and clean your grounds and check for any cracks in the insulation of any of the power cables which would allow the wiring to become corroded.