HELP! Throttle Valve Cable Froze?

asdavenport1

Sep 23, 2008
GA
O.K., I Need help, I have just purchased a 91 GT, with an AOD. This is my first AOD car, as both of my others are sticks. I know nothing about AODs, only what I remember from back in the day when I was really into the foxes. I have only recently been able to come back to this sport and I found this little car for a sweet deal.

I thought an AOD would be fun and different. This car is a project, and I am going over it little by little. I drove it home, about twenty miles, (it was supposedly sitting for about four years) and I took it kinda easy. I never "got on it", and it seemed to drive fine, (for a 17 yr. old car that had been sitting for awhile), no smoke, or weird noises. Once home and going over the car I noticed the accelerator would not push all the way to the floor. I did not force it, but rather checked the linkage at the throttle body. It was stuck too. I then climbed under the car and found that cable, (I believe its called the TV cable) is stuck and will not budge. My dad and I pulled it out and it is in fact "frozen."

After a couple of days of soaking it in Kroil it has loosened, but I am wondering where I can get a new one? LRS sells one they say is only for an 86 AOD. I cannot find one at CJ Pony parts, or Year One. Does Ford still stock this part, or can I get it from my local parts house? I thought I saw one somewhere by PA Performance. I thought I heard that they were the only ones that carried it now, but I cannot remember where I saw it.

Any advise or tips will be greatly appreciated. I am going to make this my street/strip car so I would also like to hear your performance tips.

Thanks in advance, DAV.

• Sponsors (?)