HELP! What I think is oil leaking on my foot.. experts come in

mac16

Sep 9, 2004
Hey guys today as I was driving to practice I felt something on my foot and looked down to see some brown liquid. Then remembered I had a drop of something brown when I drove the car earlier but though I might of stepped in something as it was raining today, well whatever te leak was it got much worse. Anyways took it to a shop and they were *******s felt the liquid and said it was something with the clutch and promptly told me they didnt have time and needed to move my car. Anyways my temp usually sits ~160 runs very well and cool and is very consistent around 160-170. Well it got all the way up to 190 on the 3 mile drive home way hotter then usual and the oil pressure was higher then normal, so im thinking its that. My question is what could cause oil to leak all over my foot and pedals only while the car is on? Could it be something with my oil pressure gauge fitting? I dont know where the line goes or is tapped really the car is pretty new to me and I bought it the way it is. Its still too hot now to check the oil level but that will tell me whether it is oil or not as I lost a lot of fluid while driving.

So if its not oil what is it? Also if anybody has had smiliar problems I need help trying to find what hose im looking for, its a very tight spot to look up under the pedals and knowing what im looking for would help a ton. thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

I can't say that Ford ever put a hydraulic clutch setup in the Mustang... I could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time). One thing you might want to check is the brake lines. The master cylinder is just in front of the pedals on the other side of the firewall. You might have a leak that is traveling down some lines and dripping down that way.

Obviously none of these has anything to do with oil pressure or temperatures... but that could always be an overactive imagination.

Ill go check it out right now. Its way more then a drip that would travel down a line though, its alot of fluid, in a matter of a few minutes it soaked my shoes and alot on the floor.

if the oil that's leaking looks dirty you could change the oil and see if the leak stays the same. if the leak looks like clean oil then it would be an oil leak. you would probly know if it was oil or not. The shop should have known for sure.

I'd check the MC first and the area around that foamy piece in the firewall where the harness goes through. Mine always works it's way out and cold air rushes in when driving. Might be blowing in some fluids in to if you have a leak. If you bought the car with aftermarket gauges installed. Def look for a leak with those too. Could be a fitting issue or cracked line, although I've never heard of people having problems with those plastic lines cracking. That would be my guess.

Its for sure oil, damn near a quart was lost in a matter of 30min maybe that it was being driven like that. Ok so now my question. Does anybody have any pictures or anything for what line it is im looking for? Where is the oil press. gauge tapped in at? How does it work? Is there an actual oil line running to the gauge then and thats what im looking for? What does the line look like? Thanks guys for any help.

Welp ill have to check it when I have time hopefully this weekend. Im hoping its just a loose fitting or something, if I have to order a whole new line its going to be a bitch...:bang:

Mac, I'm confused. Do you actually have an aftermarket OP gauge? THe stock gauge is electric (no oil in the cockpit).

it has an autometer oil pressure gauge, mechanical.

follow the firewall boot, you will see the line come through. most likely the line got a hole in it. its not hard to replace the line if thats the case.

pull the pillar piece down, and just loosen the nut on the back of the gauge. then the line will come off. it leads to another insert in the block right by the oil filter.

Check your vacuum lines to be sure you're not losing oil through there. You may have a PCV issue, causing oil to enter your vacuum lines, and it could be leaking out under the dash somewhere.

Ya im glad its not something more serious atleast. Ive looked around autometers website and cant really find them, does anyone have a link to replacement lines, need to get it ordered asap. Thanks guys

The Shape said:
You can get the replacement line at the parts store. The copper tubing kit or the nylon tubing kit either one are less than 10 bucks.
Right on. :nice:

I would get new ferrules too. If the parts store doesnt have them, the home store should.

I sheath nylon and copper line in rubber vacuum line. It helps protect the nylon line from chafing and helps keep copper line from chattering (it's useful for whichever kind of line you use. I prefer copper but have had nylon in one car for over 10 years).

Good luck.

I also did like Hissing suggested and sheathed my coipper line in some rubber vaccum hose. What I didn't do was pay attention the first time I installed the line and had it routed under my accelerator pedal and caused it to rub and leak:rolleyes: :nono::bang: . Which is why I know the price of a replacement line and that the parts store kit does indeed include new ferrules with it:D

I've had this happen to me also. Oil line to my autometer mechanical broke (crappy nylon tubing) and went all over my feet. That crap was HOT. I'd do braided steel teflon tubing, or the copper.

Nick

alright sweet. so for thsoe that happened, how many feet did you need to buy? also what are ferrels that you were referring to? Im really new to the gauges and not too familiar with them yet.