Help, why is my engine knocking?

Still Knocking

Well, I set the timing to 10 degrees with the sprout connector removed, engine warm. I ran 87 octane through for 2 tanks and it's knocking like crazy on 0F degree days.

Haven't got it yet. :shrug: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

JimTMich said:
Well, I set the timing to 10 degrees with the sprout connector removed, engine warm. I ran 87 octane through for 2 tanks and it's knocking like crazy on 0F degree days.

Haven't got it yet. :shrug: :bang:
From what I've found, winter gas is more oxygenated which isn't going to help the pinging at all. Todays 87 is just a step above Propane. Don't run that trash. Don't throw in a whole tank of 93, but just try maybe 1/4 a tank and see if it works first before you fill her up.

Joe

95GTvert[bv12] said:
did you try replacing the sensors yet? also try using 89 octane...but you should be able to run 87 octane with 10* base line

I replaced ECT, AIT, and cleaned the Maf.

From what I've found, winter gas is more oxygenated which isn't going to help the pinging at all. Todays 87 is just a step above Propane. Don't run that trash. Don't throw in a whole tank of 93, but just try maybe 1/4 a tank and see if it works first before you fill her up.

Joe

I put in 10 gallons of 93 and the knocking went away.

Do I just have to live with more octane.

BTW, Over the years I have found that running 93 I get about 20% better mileage. Which pays for the 93 octane. I'll have to keep my eye on it now that I have made changes.