Help with 1994 Mustang Cats / H-Pipe

Telewanger

Apr 4, 2009
I went from being very proud to feeling like a complete idiot today. I bought my SN95 and worked my ass off on it. The previous owner told me that in North Carolina, emissions testing is not done on 1995 vehicles and older. I read online about it and found out the same thing. No problem!

Here's what nobody told me:

I took my car to get it inspected today and 5 minutes later it is sitting back in the same spot. The guy came out laughing and said " Dude, you have no cats on the car at all!" I told him that 1995 and older does not need emission testing. He told me that I'm right, but the car must have cats on it, and all I have is an H-Pipe.

He said that all he needs is to see some cats on there and it will pass inspection.

Is there any thing that I can do as cheap as possible? Can I buy some sort of fake wrap around cats, or do I need to end up buying a high flow cat and H-pipe?

• Sponsors (?)

you could get a couple cats & have them welded into your existing h-pipe. It will sound a little better with cats also IMO.... take it to a muffler shop & get a quote to have some installed. I would think a shop should carry a cheap generic brand converter.

I think stock is 2.25".... you don't want to use clamps, they will leak like crazy....as mentioned above, do consider picking up a stock h-pipe. having no cats can actually hurt you on the street. you will have less low-end torque. just my .02

Just get some heat shields off some old catalytic converter, and weld them onto the pipe. Or just put them on with pipe clamps, and take them back off afterwards. If you go to an exhaust shop, they are sure to have a bunch of cats that have gone bad somewhere. They would probably give you the heat shields off them for a nominal fee.

Kurt

Just get some heat shields off some old catalytic converter, and weld them onto the pipe. Or just put them on with pipe clamps, and take them back off afterwards. If you go to an exhaust shop, they are sure to have a bunch of cats that have gone bad somewhere. They would probably give you the heat shields off them for a nominal fee.

Kurt
Best solution so far.

Don't compromise your setup because of a little thing like emissions laws. That's just un-American.