Help With 3.8 Mass Air!

95Cobra302

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
Daytona Beach, FL
Hey guys... I need some help with my Brother's 3.8L V6, and removing the mass air. I'm posting this here because there's more activity, and more knowledgable people than anywhere else! :)

We're trying to clean the mass air, and on the top there's two pieces we need to remove. One is a torx bit, and the other isn't. It's something else, and I don't know how the heck to remove it. Do you guys have any ideas?

The mass air on my 95 Cobra had two torx bits I believe, but I swapped it out completely for a different one, so I never had to remove it.

Any help would be appreciated, and again, I'm sorry about posting this in here for you offended by the 3.8. ;)

• Sponsors (?)

95Cobra302 said:
Hey guys... I need some help with my Brother's 3.8L V6, and removing the mass air. I'm posting this here because there's more activity, and more knowledgable people than anywhere else! :)

We're trying to clean the mass air, and on the top there's two pieces we need to remove. One is a torx bit, and the other isn't. It's something else, and I don't know how the heck to remove it. Do you guys have any ideas?

The mass air on my 95 Cobra had two torx bits I believe, but I swapped it out completely for a different one, so I never had to remove it.

Any help would be appreciated, and again, I'm sorry about posting this in here for you offended by the 3.8. ;)
I work on my 94 V6, but I'm not clear as to what you're talking about. Are you talking about removing the Mass Air sensor, the black sensor inside the air box? It's got two wires you want to clean off, right? if that's it, then you're supposed to have two torx screws there; mine sure does.

If you can post a photo with what you have, mebbe we can identify what's on there. The more detailed the better.

Yes, the mass air sensor. Instead of two torx screws, there's only one on one side, and then the other is something else... Doesn't look anything like a torx. Anyway, I'll get my camera and take a picture, and host it. It'll be a little while though. Thanks for replying!

Ok, here we go... This is the one. Any ideas?

mass.jpg

Immortal LuD said:
Although I have quite a bit of tools, I don't think I have anything to cut the head off with... I own a dremel though...

Any recommendations?

Can you get some channel locks around the head? Try twisting it out like that. Or just take a big flat head and a hammer, wedge the flat head at the base of the head of the bolt, and hit it with a hammer a few times. That oughta knock it off.

Immortal LuD said:
Although I have quite a bit of tools, I don't think I have anything to cut the head off with... I own a dremel though...

Any recommendations?

Use the cutting wheel on the Dremel. Just be careful you don't slip, or you'll be buying new electronics. You can replace both bolts with standard bolts instead of Torx bolts, if you want.