Help with Changing Carpet

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Two parts really to this question.

FIRST....is there a thread around here that gives a good step-by-step on proper removal of seats and any other parts to install new carpeting?

SECOND....I see molded carpets for about $120 at Resto, etc, but I remember someone telling me once that there is a better type to get that has more padding or more insulation. Anyone know what that is in reference to and where it can be bought?

Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

I pulled the seat bolts once when I installed weld in sub frames with cross bars. they are just bolts, the lower back seat needs to come out and you have to push in and pull up to get it un-hooked from its mount. The PITA is the center console removing the inner arm rest pocket, getting it undone and without breaking the little platic tabs...that is the headache.

I pulled the seat bolts once when I installed weld in sub frames with cross bars. they are just bolts, the lower back seat needs to come out and you have to push in and pull up to get it un-hooked from its mount. The PITA is the center console removing the inner arm rest pocket, getting it undone and without breaking the little platic tabs...that is the headache.

Can't speak for a coupe but for a 94-94 vert the front seats are nuts on the front and bolts on the back. Centre console remove the screws inside the glove box then everything else is straight forward. Rear seat cushion does not push back and release. There is a tab on each side that needs to be pushed back and the seat lifted. There is nothing forced. The back cushion is held by two bolts at the bottom and then is lifted up to unhook the upper tab.

No step-by-step I know of to remove the carpet. You do have to strip the entire interior (minus the dash) to remove the carpet, however. I've done this several times so it's well-memorized:

1. The seats are each 4 bolts, then pop the power connector under the seat.

2. The trickiest part is the bottom rear seat. There's a lock of sorts in the middle of each side; feel under the front of each seat to find it. Push down on the top of the seat right above the lock, then push the lock in and it will release. Once both are unlocked, the bottom just pulls right out.

3. You have to remove the rear seats and the rear headrest as well. If you have trunk carpet, there are 4 push pins holding the carpet to the rear seat. 4 bolts up top and three on the bottom, and the seat backs come out.

4. The rear side panels need to come out, but first you need to remove the sill panels under the doors. These just pull straight up.

5. For a coupe, remove the rear sail panels next. There's a screw holding in the coat hook, pull that out. To remove the upper seat belt bolt, you need a Torx socket set which you can buy at any auto store. The Powerbuilt set I have has sizes from T-8 to T-55. You might as well remove the other end of the seatbelt, it's the same size Torx socket. If you have a rear defroster, gently pull the connectors off the metal tab. If you don't do this, you may rip the tabs off the window and no defroster for you. Finally, the quarter panel is held on by a few metal snaps; you can just pull it free. You can put the sail panels up on the rear deck, or you can remove the seat belt bolt on the bottom and slide it through.

6. A coupe has two push pins on each side of the rear panels holding the weatherstrip in. They pull out with pliers or your fingernails. There is one push pin on the top of the rear panel, and three holding the back panel in (it was behind the rear seat). Use a pry bar for these, it makes life much easier. The rear panels should simply be lifted up. You can slip the seat belt through a slit on the back part of the panel.

7. The center console is a bit tricky. Pull up the shifter bezel and set it aside. There are two bolts holding the console to the dash, remove them. The remaining two bolts are hidden under the storage area. Pull up the two front rubber grommets under the lid, and you'll find two screws. Remove them, then a good tug upwards will pop the storage unit up and out of the way. You can now see the two remaining screws; remove them. Finally, to remove the console you have to pull the e-brake handle as high as you can get it. You can then slide the console up and around the e-brake handle and out of the car.

8. Two bolts each to remove the locks for the rear seat.

9. Two push pins in the foot wells, one on each side of the tranny tunnel.

10. One push pin each to hold the kick panels in on each side.

11. You'll need to cut a part of the carpet that runs under the center console. You can't remove the carpet otherwise.

Unless I missed something, you should now be able to remove the carpet from the car.