Engine Help with coolant leak.

91GTstroked

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
Hey guys,

Took the car out a bit ago. Drove really good. Until I looked underneath and noticed coolant on the ground.

I'm trying to figure out exactly where it's coming from. I'm leaning towards a water pump gasket. Everything on the top side of the engine seems dry. But want your opinion.

The water pump is a Edelbrock which was replaced by the previous owner in 2016-2017 I think. The weap hole area feels dry, but looks like some coolant has leaked at some point.

The picture showing the coolant leak is at the bottom area of the water pump.

I have a new timing cover and gaskets already. Not sure if I should replace the timing cover too? Or start with the WP as a lot more is involved replacing the timing cover.Any other WP brands to consider?

I've never replaced either before.

Attachments

• IMG_20210506_124926598.jpg
    IMG_20210506_124926598.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20210506_124959915.jpg
    IMG_20210506_124959915.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20210506_130559398.jpg
    IMG_20210506_130559398.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I started disassembly. Just not sure if I should chance trying the Edelbrock water pump or not.

I plan on using a high tack sealant on the gaskets.

Should I put anything other than anti seize on WP and timing cover bolts?

Attachments

• IMG_20210506_191618915.jpg
    IMG_20210506_191618915.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 98
I'll bet you the gasket on back of wp went bad, or bolt on back( I belive 5/8" ) was loose.I ground down a open end wrench just for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I always wondered why in h e double L can't it be a sealed design, and why aftermarket couldn't step up.

Reactions: 1 user
make sure you order fel pro pump and backing plate gaskets because the cheap black ones that come with the pump usually dont seal good
It appears the old gasket was a cheap black one.... I'll be going to local auto parts stores today in hopes of finding both water pump and backing plate gaskets.

Thanks.

Update:

Well ran into some trouble today. I bought a new LMR timing cover from someone on Facebook about a year ago. I had a heck of a time getting it on both dowels. I could get it on the drivers side, but no luck on the passenger side.

So I grabbed the old one and went on fine. I spent a lot of time cleaning and repainting it.

Had to order more gaskets, so it's a slow process.

Seems things never go as planned lol.

• Surprised
I wonder if some people have been installing the timing cover and water pump wrong if they are doing both?

It looks like some of the water pump bolts are also used to secure the timing cover to the block.

So, shouldn't a person be finger tightening the timing cover bolts, then putting on the water pump? Then tighten all the the bolts are that protrude into the block?

Maybe I'm overthinking?

If one replaces just the Water pump then those bolts that go into the block get removed and then reinstalled, Stop over to thinking it.

It's been a slow process waiting on parts. It appears the block mating surface has some pitting.

I plan on using some Permatex high tack sealant that uses a brush instead of the spray.

Hopefully, I'll be able to start assembly tomorrow.

Edit:. Sucks, I just changed the oil a few weeks ago. Do you guys think it's okay to start the car up after I finish the timing cover and water pump install to check for leaks. If everything looks good then change the oil.

I know some antifreeze got in the oil pan.

Last edited:
I started disassembly. Just not sure if I should chance trying the Edelbrock water pump or not.

I plan on using a high tack sealant on the gaskets.

Should I put anything other than anti seize on WP and timing cover bolts?
is the Edelbrock water pump any good? my stock water pump started leaking underneath from the water pump. the pump is 8 years old and it started dripping slowly today while I was changing my oil. do you recommend a 160 or 180 thermostat? I have an electric flexalite fan it's so sweet and keeps the motor nice and cool. when it's running I open the door and when I put my foot underneath the car I can feel the cold air blowing a very powerful fan. I think I'm going to go for the Edelbrock water pump... https://lmr.com/item/EDL-8840/86-93-Mustang-Victor-Series-High-Volume-Water-Pump-Small-Block-Ford