Help with excessive shifter vibration

cjman15

Banned
Apr 15, 2004
Fairfield, PA
When the car revs 2200rpm+, I start to notice ALOT of vibration in my shifter. Sometimes it's unbearable and it really gets on my nerves. Any good ways of dampening it or eliminating it? (Shifter is a Steeda Tri-ax on a T5 trans)

• Sponsors (?)

Get your car on jackstands and get a look at your driveshaft while the car as in gear. Seems like 90% of these issues are related to a twisted driveshaft. I had the exact same problem that ended up being a badly mangled driveshaft. You can pick up a new aluminum one for $160 that comes with u-joints, fully assembled

put the stock shifter back in. :)

if it happens while in neutral and stopped, take a look at your harmonic balancer. make sure it did not take a poo.

otherwise, Nick is right on about where the next likely culprit is.

Mine does that. I installed an aluminum DS but it was still there......installed a polyurethane tranny mount (slightly better but still there).....now I'm gonna move onto the harmonic balancer.

Changing the shifter back to stock will do absolutely nothing. Mine has done it since I bought the car and when I put on my Steeda Tri-Ax it was still there.

maverick0716 said:
Changing the shifter back to stock will do absolutely nothing. Mine has done it since I bought the car and when I put on my Steeda Tri-Ax it was still there.

i was actually kidding about him putting the stock shifter back in. people often notice that when they go with an aftermarket shifter (and now dont have the rubber isolator in the handle), there are more vibs. i would not actually do it.

i think your logic is a little flawed. if you had vibs with a stock shifter, no aftermarket shifter would quell the vibes. sorta like installing a turbo to smooth out a part-throttle miss.

i think you just need to lay off the mods. :)

are you talking about the plastic bushing that the shifter ball sits in?not trying to steal the thread but my car does the same thing and i've already replaced the driveshaft with a motorsport aluminmum one.i have a new bushing but was waiting till i got a pro 5.0 shifter first.

the vibration from a worn cup will be very light, only felt in the shifter handle (not throughout any of the rest of the car). those little plastic cups are pretty durable.

HISSIN50 said:
i was actually kidding about him putting the stock shifter back in. people often notice that when they go with an aftermarket shifter (and now dont have the rubber isolator in the handle), there are more vibs. i would not actually do it.

i think your logic is a little flawed. if you had vibs with a stock shifter, no aftermarket shifter would quell the vibes. sorta like installing a turbo to smooth out a part-throttle miss.

i think you just need to lay off the mods. :)

I didn't buy the shifter to smooth out a vibration......thats just plain stupid. I was just saying that it wouldn't if thats what you were thinking (being more stiff and having a stiffer spring, some people might think that.)

maverick0716 said:
I didn't buy the shifter to smooth out a vibration......thats just plain stupid. I was just saying that it wouldn't if thats what you were thinking (being more stiff and having a stiffer spring, some people might think that.)
we are cool.

i think it is safe to say that a stock shifter will quell vibrations more than an aftermarket shifter (hence all the threads about aftermarket shifters vibrating more than stockers, being due to no rubber damper in aftermarket shifters).

that was all i was saying. but that line in my first post was said facetiously, hence the :)

:cheers:

i have the same feeling you do that my vibration may be my 160k mile balancer or possibly my flywheel.i have replaced the driveshaft,urethane tranny mount and crossmember bushings.i think i'm going to replace my tailshaft bushing as a last resort before i do a balancer and flywheel replacement.

5.0guy said:
u talking about the trans crossmember? if not, that could be it, too...the bushings on the end of mine are shot. I'm gonna get an adjustable Ford Racing one soon.

I ordered that adjustable crossmember awhile back because I thought I needed it for my T5 conversion, but tha trans guy said I could reuse tha AOD one... The firewall always seemed to vibrate the most when it was AOD and tha engine would roar... now it's in the firewall and shifter...

cjman15 said:
I ordered that adjustable crossmember awhile back because I thought I needed it for my T5 conversion, but tha trans guy said I could reuse tha AOD one... The firewall always seemed to vibrate the most when it was AOD and tha engine would roar... now it's in the firewall and shifter...

you can reuse the AOD crossmember, but its not a direct bolt on fit. You do have to grind it and beat on it a little, its overall a pain in the ass. I'm converting my notch to 5spd and after a day of messing with the aod crossmember, i decided to go to the junkyard and got a dual hump t5 crossmember for $8

I have 178,000 miles on my car now. When my car is running and I look down at my harmonic balancer it looks like its warped or is that how its suppose to look when it is turning? So that has to be my problem!

When I bought my 1993 lx hatch it had a bad vibe in the shifter too, and it tiurned out to be the driveshaft, the yoke that goes into the tailshaft of the tranny was not smooth, it had waves in it, put in a FMS alum shaft and the vibration was gone.

92greenlx said:
I have 178,000 miles on my car now. When my car is running and I look down at my harmonic balancer it looks like its warped or is that how its suppose to look when it is turning? So that has to be my problem!
it will play optical tricks on your eyes (atleast mine). i had to block out the rear part of the balancer, as it made it appear to oscillate.
but my stocker was kinda like you describe. the rubber was pretty decent lookin, but once i got it out, it looked like someone had hit one end of the outer ring with a hammer. the rubber had allowed the outer ring to slide back on the inner ring on one hemisphere.......if that helps at all. a machinist edge/ruler across the thing might help with otherwise somewhat subjective observations.
dont mess around with it if it looks bad. replace it.