Help with Hanging RPMS

CivicEater

Jan 29, 2004
Tonight for some strange reason all of a sudden I idle at 1100 and my RPMS hang in any gear at 1600 untill I fully stop the car. What can I do? I havent done anything to it since 2 days ago when I adjusted the idle 850 but now this happened......

• Sponsors (?)

I don't want to high jack your thread but I’m having the same problem too. I put timing light to it and found that after I rev it up the timing seems to stay advanced for a few seconds then it drops down to normal. Even during shifting the rpms hang up. Why?

well, I had the same problem... chances are that you either purposefully, or accidentally bumped or changed the TPS (throttle plate position screw) that's on the left of the TB... that actually doesn't effect idle, well, actually it does, but the computer compensates it back to normal programed mode... so, you'll have to adjust that screw back to stock setting w/i about .1mm depth... I know it's tough, but that's what I had to do, now they only hang when I shift around 2500rpm... drop hella fast at low and high RPM, so racing, and gas mileage is just fine again :D

jwalker said:
Ys they are talking about the on ethat has the plastic cap over it. This screw will adjust the butterfly in th ethrottle body.
I'm pretty sure it adjusts the IAC, not anything to do with the butterfly. I have an external throttle stop for that (not sure if the stock throttle body does, however).

Dave

jwalker said:
Ys they are talking about the on ethat has the plastic cap over it. This screw will adjust the butterfly in th ethrottle body.
The one with the plastic cap over it is te IAC. Thats what you adjust to raise/lower the idle.

Its more than likely the screw on the left side of your TB that holds the tb plate open. That will cause more air to get by and keep the RPM up higher until the computer corrects it and brings it back down to idle.

I have the same problem. I just went out and readjusted mine. I had to turn it in 1-1/4 turns to tighten it. Then I opened it back up 1 turn. I havent driven it yet to see what difference it makes. What would this do? Would that extra 1/4 turn make a difference?

yeah....dont put it too far in either. ive been screwin with my lately and i think i finally found the perfect spot today while tuning my car a lil. just mess with it a little at a time to make it perfect. you can definately feel a difference between a 1/2 a turn

I have the same problem with the hanging RPMs. When I put the cam in my car it wouldn't idle at all so I cranked up the IAC and it idled fine but the RPMs wouldn't go down very fast. Kinda off topic, but if I do set the IAC back to it's stock position, can I drill a small hole in the butterfly to allow more airflow at idle so my car will stop stalling out?