• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

help with job decision.. someone help!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaleenGT2001
  • Start date Start date Aug 9, 2006
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
First Prev 2 of 3 Next Last

68torinogt

Hey guys, guess what--I have a bi-pass!!!
Mar 21, 2006
0
0
53
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine
Aug 9, 2006
#21
  • Aug 9, 2006
  • #21
o a her that makes 8 now we are gettin somewhere
 

jasonh_86

I
May 20, 2005
1,156
2
48
Arkansas
Aug 9, 2006
#22
  • Aug 9, 2006
  • #22
lol yes sir!.. I will be working the window next to the reaaallllyyy hot one, so i'll get to sit and talk to her all day long

But back to the original thread topic.. lets help SaleenGT2001 with his decision!
 

68torinogt

Hey guys, guess what--I have a bi-pass!!!
Mar 21, 2006
0
0
53
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine
Aug 9, 2006
#23
  • Aug 9, 2006
  • #23
how are we to help?
 

68torinogt

Hey guys, guess what--I have a bi-pass!!!
Mar 21, 2006
0
0
53
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine
Aug 9, 2006
#24
  • Aug 9, 2006
  • #24
it is his ultimate decision i say he goes where the water is. but how close is he with this "buddy" that is going to give him the job?
 

nwapache

New Member
Jun 27, 2006
313
0
0
Seattle,WA
Aug 9, 2006
#25
  • Aug 9, 2006
  • #25
I'd go with the sprinkler job for the better possibilities, the closer location, the company truck, and the buddy to work with!
When I went to college I drove a tow truck and made 15$ an hour pluse 25% commission....its pretty easy to learn and a lot of fun....try checking that out.
 
0

01Steeda

New Member
May 29, 2005
732
0
0
Baton Rouge, LA
Aug 10, 2006
#26
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #26
cable guy... people dont even begin to understand the money I make as a freakin cable guy.

Guy asked me yesterday, you do pretty good with them? I said yeah I make about 20. he says.. a year?... ummm no an hour lol.

made 52K after commisions and bonuses last year... work 4 -10 hour days and has the best benefits I have seen anywhere.... they hire installers (like me) with ZERO experience and are looking for young people who want a career.. please do yourself a favor and look into your local cable company.
 

tjmaxx

Member
Jun 21, 2004
157
3
19
Aug 10, 2006
#27
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #27
01Steeda said:
cable guy... people dont even begin to understand the money I make as a freakin cable guy.

Guy asked me yesterday, you do pretty good with them? I said yeah I make about 20. he says.. a year?... ummm no an hour lol.

made 52K after commisions and bonuses last year... work 4 -10 hour days and has the best benefits I have seen anywhere.... they hire installers (like me) with ZERO experience and are looking for young people who want a career.. please do yourself a favor and look into your local cable company.
Click to expand...

How would I find a company like this? How did you find where it was? I want a new job badly.
 
K

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
4,749
95
134
Aug 10, 2006
#28
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #28
Sprinklers...
 

Susky

New Member
Oct 5, 2005
73
0
0
Mechanicsburg, PA
Aug 10, 2006
#29
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #29
Don't just up and leave without giving proper notice. It might not hurt you...but it also might. Plus, you want to do the ethical thing, right?

Give yourself a month, and throw yourself into doing the grunt work. Oil changes, tires work, whatever. Tell the boss that you are okay doing that, but you want to do more. Let him know - directly - that you have ambitions for more responsibility, and that you are looking to learn and do whatever it takes. If the boss is worth his salt, he'll respond positively to your interest. If he doesn't give notice. If you can't find another garage that will accommodate you, then consider another career.
 

SaleenGT2001

Well-Known Member
Jul 18, 2005
2,811
4
58
Four Oaks NC
Aug 10, 2006
#30
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #30
well when i moved over there i was suppose to start as an alignment tech immediately. it has been 6 weeks and i'm still doing the crap work. and i can get by on $400 a week b/c my house is paid for and my girl brings home about the same thing. the only bills we have are car payments, insurance, lights and phone/cable. so with $3200 amonth combined we still have plenty left to get by with. if i was by myself it would be a different story!! i wouldn't be able to buy new toys for my car every few months! plus the cost of living where i'm at isnt nearly as high as it is in most parts of the country.
 

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
8,297
1,358
194
Cincinnati area
Aug 10, 2006
#31
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #31
Seriously doubt that quitting your new job without notice will harm you. Especially if you have another job lined up already. If you apply for another new job, they'll be looking at the job you have, not the one you worked 2 jobs ago for a short period of time.

Can you go back to Goodyear, and pull some of the sprinkler stuff on the side to see if you like it. Maybe do a couple jobs.....then go from there.

Goto school and be a school psychologist....60k a year...7 hour work days....7 weeks off in the summer .....yet I'm still broke, and my wife is a nurse. Own way too many toys.
 

Dusstbuster

I love meat more than anything! I just have a spec
May 31, 2004
1,462
33
64
Moorhead, Minnesota
Aug 10, 2006
#32
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #32
Now I understand how you guys can afford all your crap. Damn you talk about living off $400 a week being tough, my paychecks during the summer at BEST are $400 every 2 weeks! Granted those are only 30 hour weeks, there is no way in hell I'll ever be able to do 40+ hour weeks at McDonalds. Now that I got my 2nd job @ 9.75 an hour and college is starting i'll be making around 250 a week, living at home. So you guys gotta be happy with your checks. Granted I live at home and my cars paid off but I still owe State Farm 140 a month + gas + other random mantinence and stuff.

As to the topic at hand, I'd say go with the sprinkler job. The pay might suck at first but with all the ammenities you get plus the fact that it sounds like moving up paywise is fairly easy, it'll probably pay off in the end AND be more enjoyable than your current or alternative situation.
 

Susky

New Member
Oct 5, 2005
73
0
0
Mechanicsburg, PA
Aug 10, 2006
#33
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #33
Have you sat down and talked with your current manager? Discuss things like your expectations (yours and his) when you started, and where you both see your career going. If it looks like he won't see it your way, or at least give you some indication that he's willing to help you out, tell him you'll be working elsewhere.

As far as how much notice you give, that's purely an ethical decision.
 

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
8,297
1,358
194
Cincinnati area
Aug 10, 2006
#34
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #34
Very difficult to make a lot of money and still be in college. I remember the days of living off 1000 bucks a month....exactly why I appreciate the good things that I have in my life now.
 

blackfang

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
1,290
1
39
Richmond, Va
Aug 10, 2006
#35
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #35
I would talk to Goodyear and see about getting your job and position back. Once that is locked on, inform your present employer, that they can not give you enough work for your skill level to keep you employed there. Sometimes that forces them to step it up if they want you.

If they dont, then go back to Goodyear and try and look around at a dealership. Our techs at Toyota take home 500-1500 a week. I am sure many dealerships will pay. This gives you a steady paycheck and you are still looking around for something in your field.
 

mustangkid05

New Member
Mar 10, 2006
199
0
0
Aug 10, 2006
#36
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #36
yea.....sprinkler job
 

SaleenGT2001

Well-Known Member
Jul 18, 2005
2,811
4
58
Four Oaks NC
Aug 10, 2006
#37
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #37
well i went and talked to my old boss. he offered 11.25 an hour plus 10% on everything i turn. i will be the only alignment tech other than the old guy who does maybe 5 cars a week. i should be able to bring home about $100-200 in commission every week in addition to my hourly. i am going to get my tools tomorrow and tell them i'm moving to a shop that is busier with better pay and more commission. i may do the sprinkler work on the side and see how taht goes.
 
S

saleen556

New Member
Dec 2, 2003
387
0
0
Hillsboro,OR
Aug 10, 2006
#38
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #38
68torinogt said:
sounds like your going into the sprinkler buisness. good luck.
Click to expand...
 

68torinogt

Hey guys, guess what--I have a bi-pass!!!
Mar 21, 2006
0
0
53
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine
Aug 10, 2006
#39
  • Aug 10, 2006
  • #39
^^^^ ha hahahahah

i said that yesterday
 

tjmaxx

Member
Jun 21, 2004
157
3
19
Aug 11, 2006
#40
  • Aug 11, 2006
  • #40
Good to hear you got your old job back
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
First Prev 2 of 3 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Progress Thread The Mach Returns - Update/build thread
  • squeak93
  • Feb 20, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
11
Views
598
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Thursday at 4:56 PM
squeak93
Strut Tower Help!
  • 93Nifty
  • Jan 10, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
28
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 28, 2026
General karthief
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
340
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
S
Engine 2003 Mach 1 Automatic Upgrades assistance
  • SJK1417M1AT
  • Sep 25, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
364
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Dec 21, 2025
01SVTvertt
0
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
344
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?