Help with midpipe decision

Im looking to get a new midpipe. i want something that will sound good with the flowmaster 40 series mufflers that i have. Im looking for a deep rumbling idle and something that screams during hard acceleration. I also dont want to deal with an O/R pipe so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I know you are not going to want to hear this...but you should really get rid of the flowmasters....they aren't going to sound all that different by changing the midpipe...

get a bassani x or h and the mufflers as well...swap it all out...it will be worth it..

right now id rather replace the midpipe because thats what is choking the car up and the mid pipe will let it breathe better and im in a bit of a money bind so i want to replace that first. sorry if this is hard to understand im half asleep lol

If you still have the stock midpipe on there...it may be restricting you a little bit...but not enough to justify spending the money for that sole purpose...there are many other things you can do to upgrade..

if you are changing it for the sound...you are going to be disappointed if you keep the flowmasters on there...need to change the mufflers as well...I just changed my midpipe due to a seal issue...and noticed no change whatsoever in the sound...going from a prochamber (offroad) to a bbk catted midpipe...

why do you want to stick with a catted pipe? if you're just worried about emissions testing......well lets just say there are ways around it.
my car passes with no cats, no egr, and no evap system just to name a few

The Bassani is a real nice piece. The front legs are separate and adjustable for the perfect fit. It's also nice that they offer it in either their standard stainless steel or Bx Performance aluminized line to be a bit easier on the wallet.

98stangv8 said:
I know you are not going to want to hear this...but you should really get rid of the flowmasters....they aren't going to sound all that different by changing the midpipe...

get a bassani x or h and the mufflers as well...swap it all out...it will be worth it..

:bs:

My flowmaster catback came to life after I added an aftermarket mid-pipe ( O/R Pro-Chamber) on the 97GT I used to have.

your car wont even sound close to what you have after you change the midpipe.

If you go with an h pipe, they all sound the same and quality is about equal. Get whatever is the cheapest. If you go with an x pipe, research them a bit. Some sound a little bit different. I've had a couple offroad x pipes, and can't stand them. Too much popping for me with a chambered muffler. The hi flow ones sound a little better. In the end, it's what you like. Good luck.

I have an O/R Pro Chamber with flows welded into the stock catback. Not too loud but people know it when you have the hammer down. Most X pipes don't sound very good with an X pipe. I have a BBK X pipe that I installed and it stayed in the car for less than a day. It was one of the most horrendously crappy sounds I've ever heard from and exhaust.

My flows 40's sounds waaaaay different with my mac o/r H lol

almost the same at idle except with a little more rumble, but it just screams so much more when im accelerating :shrug:

general observation:

X pipes + straight through (SLP, magnapacks,etc.) = :nice:

H pipes + chambered (flows, etc.) = :nice: