Help with removing headlamp assemblies

Hello all,

I'm new to the boards here (been lurking for a couple of months), got a '95 project car I'm working on.

I got a set of OEM Cobra headlamp assemblies off of eBay to replace my nasty yellowed POSes, but I ran into problems trying to remove the old ones. There's three rubber nuts that are basically stuck, attached to the long screws on the sides of the headlamps, holding the assemblies in place... and I can't get them off.

I've tried needlenose pliers, which didn't budge them, and someone here suggested to me cutting them off. So I went down to the local parts store, got a nut splitter, and went to work. The splitter's cut two grooves straight through the nut, but the pieces are still holding tight to the bolt! :mad:

If anyone else has any suggestions in getting these headlamps off, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

you pinch both sides with the needlenose pliers WHILE you pull on which ever one you are working on. For instance: The bottom right you would pinch both sides AND pull up on the headlight in the process. If you cant do it with pliers, get a robo grip from sears. Those things are awesome for the headlights. I can change both headlights out in about 7 minutes with those

17yrOldStanger said:
you pinch both sides with the needlenose pliers WHILE you pull on which ever one you are working on. For instance: The bottom right you would pinch both sides AND pull up on the headlight in the process. If you cant do it with pliers, get a robo grip from sears. Those things are awesome for the headlights. I can change both headlights out in about 7 minutes with those

RoboGrips, huh? I'll have to run down to Sears tomorrow and get a pair to try out. Yeah, needlenose pliers weren't working for me - the nuts were still stuck.

Thanks! :nice:

dont forget the little metal clips that pull straight out, those might also be the cause of your problem. ive even heard of people using an open end wrench to pinch the two plastic clips together to pull it out

When i was doin my lights i used a plyers and was pinching like crazy but it wouldn't work, then i decided to try and pull the headlight out and for some reason that worked for me (simultaneously pulling on the headlight while pinching) i think i used locking plyers (cant remember name of plyers) probably like the robo grip 17yrOld was talking about.

could also use a screwdriver and pry pry pry again

I just swaped mine out last week for some clear dimmond headlights and everyone is right as far as getting them out. The side markers are alot less of a pain in the ass compared to the headlights.