Help with some random fixes

Bmwz389

Dec 5, 2009
Hey guys,

I purchased this 2.3 lx a few months back, and in severity I've done a complete tuneup and went through the entire ignition system.

Since it's getting warmer now, I can finally fix some things.

1. The seatbelts are really squeaky when you lean forward and back, does anyone know a fix for this? Searched with irrelevant results. Could it just need some WD40 in the seatbelt mechs?

2. The stupid temp sensor on the heater core lines on the firewall will NOT come out of the housing, and I don't want to break it because they cost 60 new Dealer-Only. Anyone else solved this problem? It's plastic and I've tried all kinds of things will no results.

3. Do both horn buttons run different horns? My left button works, but not the right. When I got the car i removed the rest of a half removed alarm system that had a car horn wired into it. This makes me believe they took one from the car and wired it into the relay for the alarm.

4. I have a weird issue with my turning signals. I replaced the flasher and the side 194's. Both outer bulbs on the tails are dual filament, but one is amber (will change that). The middle's are single filament ambers, and the inner's are reverse. The front turning signals are single filaments and they both work
It's still fast blinking as if a bulb is out. Has anyone else had this problem, or do I have the wrong bulbs somewhere?

That's all I can think of for now, if ANYONE can help, it'd be much appreciated!

It's a 93 2.3 n/a. Should still be the same as the 5.0 I believe

Thanks,

- Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

1. The seatbelts are really squeaky when you lean forward and back, does anyone know a fix for this? Searched with irrelevant results. Could it just need some WD40 in the seatbelt mechs?

P.B. Blaster works much better than WD-40

Hey guys,
2. The stupid temp sensor on the heater core lines on the firewall will NOT come out of the housing, and I don't want to break it because they cost 60 new Dealer-Only. Anyone else solved this problem? It's plastic and I've tried all kinds of things will no results.

My 93 does not have a sending unit in the heater core lines. It is located on the drivers side of engine block - near the back. But try P.B. Blaster on the sending unit - it helps on lots of stuff

3. Do both horn buttons run different horns? My left button works, but not the right. When I got the car i removed the rest of a half removed alarm system that had a car horn wired into it. This makes me believe they took one from the car and wired it into the relay for the alarm.

Both horn buttons run the same horn - probably a bad switch in the wheel

4. I have a weird issue with my turning signals. I replaced the flasher and the side 194's. Both outer bulbs on the tails are dual filament, but one is amber (will change that). The middle's are single filament ambers, and the inner's are reverse. The front turning signals are single filaments and they both work
It's still fast blinking as if a bulb is out. Has anyone else had this problem, or do I have the wrong bulbs somewhere?

Interesting. Bulb placement seems correct. Wonder if the replacement flasher is causing the problem - or a weak positive volt supply to the flasher.

Yeah blaster has always worked better for me too haha.

I did buy some sort of temp sensor for it because there are apparently two (one for ecu and one for gauge), I figured it was the one for the ecu (which runs on those coolant lines near the firewall/pass side), because it's throwing a code. Maybe the gauge sensor trips the code as well?

I figured it was probably the same horn, as it would be obnoxious to power two different horns off two different momentary switches (from factory at least). I planned on getting a tilt column anyways so that will be taken care of.

The replaced flasher had a tough time coming out of the fuse panel, it didn't look burnt, but the wire could be falling apart off the panel or something. I'll check voltage, I presume its 12v at the panel with the signal flashing?

Thanks for the replies lol, they've been driving me crazy! Now it's just time to take all the crap apart (yay)

- Brandon

For lubricating the seatbelts, both WD40 and PB Blaster are far too light. They may loosen stuff for now, but over time, they attract dust and they drain off the parts, offering little or no long term results. A better choise is White Lithium Grease. It stays where you put it, and it less prone to attract dust. Be careful not to get it on the belt itself, otherwise it can transfer to your clothes.

About the flasher issue... this sounds crazy, but check the connections on the emergency light button. My turn lights worked randomly. I took apart the top part of the dash, and this connector was kinda loose. Just hook it up again and voilá, problem fixed!

Hops this helps!

Hmm I forgot about the hazards being tied into the schematics. Ill check that out! And grease does sound better, but that's what I was worried about, cause it stains and stinks lol.

I'll let you know what I get fixed, I have the day off tuesday.