help with timing

mattbaker302

Apr 18, 2019
texas
okay, so I just swapped the intake on my 71 302 and put an Edelbrock 4 bbl on it. I've got my timing light out and ready to go but have no idea how to use it, it has a dial on the back. I have only 1 mark on my balancer at top dead center. I need to tune the carb but wanna time it first. I'm 16 so cut me some slack:)
im really just wondering about degrees of advance and if I should block off the carb to distributor line

• Sponsors (?)

okay, so I just swapped the intake on my 71 302 and put an Edelbrock 4 bbl on it. I've got my timing light out and ready to go but have no idea how to use it, it has a dial on the back. I have only 1 mark on my balancer at top dead center. I need to tune the carb but wanna time it first. I'm 16 so cut me some slack:)
im really just wondering about degrees of advance and if I should block off the carb to distributor line

Hi Matt,
I believe you have an advanced Timing Light if it has a dial on the end of it. If so, you can just go with Total Timing which is probably 34 to 36 degrees. So warm up your engine first then set the dial on the back of your timing light to 34 to 36 degrees and then run your engine up to around 3000 RPMs and turn your distributer to TC on the damper. That will give you your total engine timing. Also, be sure to plug the vacuum advance hose going to the distributer before checking the timing.

Hope that helps,
Nevada lim

Reactions: 1 users