help with transmission

luke d

Jan 3, 2020
georgia
i have a built 2.3t motor was a na motor before, i need to know what t5 transmissions i can use i need something more than a stock v8 foxbody because the best ones were only rated at 300 ft lbs. would any of the sn95 t-5s work? any advice would be great thankyou

• Sponsors (?)

Your best option is to go with an adapter plate, then use the special flywheel, 5.0 clutch and 5.0 bellhousing, with 5.0 transmission.

Second option. Adapter pilot bearing with 94-95 V6 T5 (I think 5.0 T5 from 94-95 are the same). Input shaft is SHORTER than the 4 cylinder shaft, but it will work (although not optimal). Many have done it. The pilot bearing usually breaks. You can't machine out the crankshaft for the .668 pilot bearing, not enough meat.

Third option-similar to second option, but remove the input shaft from 94-95 transmission and have it ground down from .688 to .590", use a regular 4 cylinder pilot bearing, shaft is still a bit short but it works. This also removes the case hardened "shell" although I have not heard of any issues with that, most use a pilot bushing rather than bearing.

Fourth option use a 4 cyl T5, bolt it in and run with it. As long as you aren't power shifting, they'll last a while. I've got almost 36,000 miles on mine so far, no noises or anything. You have to be cautious with it. No power shifting and no 6000 RPM launches on slicks. If you're under about 350hp, a 4 cylinder T5 will last a good while.

Fifth option. Find a 85.5 or 86 SVO T5 which has better gearing than the regular 4 cylinder (3.50 for the SVO and usually 3.97 for the regular 4 cylinder including turbocoupe). The 3.50 T5 is impossible to find unless it's already broken and no more parts are available for them to my knowledge. The 3.50 ratio was also available in some GM astro vans among others, which makes me wonder.....nah, nevermind.

V6 and V8 T5's have a 3.35 first gear and .72 OD which sucks with a torqueless 4 cylinder (off boost) and normal highway gears (<3.55). You WILL want to change the rear end gearing! Trust me. I could never use OD on the freeway, and city driving sucked (but not as bad as using a pyropete clutch); AND you MUST be on boost to get it to accelerate decently quick from a dead stop. I suggest 3.90 or 4.10. Both work decently well with a 3.35 low and .72 OD (comes out about the same as the 3.97 stock 4 cyl T5 with 3.45 rear) but the gear ratios are closer together which is nice particularly if your engine's boost falls off early and comes in late.

Another option: import a UK SVO Sierra transmission (t5), 2.0L. Fits on a 4 cylinder bellhousing. 2.95 low, 0.80 OD. Good luck finding one. 1352-184 I think. You will find it easier finding a squatch (and proving it). I don't remember what pilot bushing to use. Been about 20 years since I messed with one; and that was the only one I've ever seen (verified imported from UK SVO Sierra). I was going to put it in my 84 SVO but never got around to it. Sold it for $1000...20 some years ago--to a fellow turbo-forder.

Last option? Send off for G-force stuff. Or Astro. I think either one is going to be expensive, but bolts in. Honestly if you consider that option, that means you've got a serious engine anyway; and a serious 2.3 is going to spin some RPM and need a GOOD clutch, and good clutches are not easily fount in the 9" diameter, so now you're looking at a V8 bellhousing with adapter, ideally given the RPM, a steel bellhousing, then you open up more clutch options. Pyropete (I found him on eBay I think it was) had/has some 9" and 9.5" clutches that will hold but they are NOT street friendly (I know...I've had a couple). Nowhere near street friendly! Think: unsprung, and the difference in pedal height between disengaged and fully engaged is about 1/4" of pedal. Any city driving then becomes a total nightmare. Been there, done that (T5 in a Merkur). And they are hard on parts being as grabby as they are.

also the build is a 1987 2.3l with a ported and polished iron head .460 .460 278 duration lunati cam milled head with stock valves, block is bored .030 over with crower forged rods and icon forged pistons arp rod bolts and head studs. high flow oil pump i have a hx35w turbo on it with an ebay header and a few more small things took the efi off planning on getting a holley 2300 super sniper efi kit

How much power do you plan on pushing?

Another thing to keep in mind is the v8 t5's have different gearing. They are a bit longer due to the torque of the v8 motor. There are aftermarket options out there for t5 gearsets as well from Astro Performance or G-force. Would not be cheap though.