Help

Mustan@97gt

Mar 14, 2020
Idaho
I have a 97 4.6l and I've been having a few problems that were easy quick fixes and now I have no clue what to do and my local dealership neglects to work on it as it sits on a rebuilt title. Anyway, right now I'm stuck on where 6 quarts of oil has gone. I'm not leaking, running or sitting, or as it cools and sits, nor am I burning it through the motor. I've got her in the air and haven't seen cracks on the block nor anything in relation to why I'm losing oil. It got to the point to where my valves were clicking and I did and oil change today so I know there is 6 quarts in and the clicking stopped. I'm just worried that I'm losing oil in a way that will cause major problems withing my block. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

The only thing I've noticed is that it doesnt smoke or smell of oil like normal signs of an oil leak. The only other thing is the check engine code I pulled was for engine too lean. Could that be the issue?

IMO it's easier to inspect the spark plugs to see IF the motor is burning a ton of oil.

+1 on the compression test.

Does the motor make timing chain noise at initial start up (especially cold)? If so, consider installing a new set of timing chains. This was the reason the first motor in my 2000 GT was turned into a boat anchor.

Well it went from not coming out of the exhaust, to smoke coming out if I let it idle and reach half on the temp gauge and give it a little throttle. So now I just think I'm gonna take it in cause I'm lost at this point

Well it went from not coming out of the exhaust, to smoke coming out if I let it idle and reach half on the temp gauge and give it a little throttle. So now I just think I'm gonna take it in cause I'm lost at this point
Ok, don't take this wrong but you're not much of a mechanic are you. Ok, so that was not a question, that's ok, now about that car, there is a good chance that with 165k+ and losing oil like you say the engine is in need of some work, how much is hard to say behind this key board.
Are you willing to get your hands greasy and learn some things? Cause it ain't cheap to fix this thing if you have to pay to get it done.