Here is a non-traditional intake? How/Why?

• Sponsors (?)

good point, but it would still be sick....anyways....

....Edelbrock makes an Intake manifold for sport compacts(Integra B18's to be exact) that is part of their turbo kit...well the intake manifold comes with holes for 4 extra fuel injectors to help with fuel starvation....but i dont see why you would inject the extra fuel that way in our cars...

Anthony

That's an original Saleen intake, it bolts to a truck style lower. It actually made really good power back in the day, but some of the other intakes based off similar designs (they look similar even!) will flow better. I believe that version above with the extra fuel injector bosses is called the "shootout" version. It was to allow extra fuel. This is from quite a while ago though.

well from his discription it sounds like he had them drilled and put on there... And yeah i thought about finding a truck lower or even a holley systemax II lower and matching that up with it and trying to sell it... But i think the extra fuel rail and stuff would not sell well?

5.0_GT_kid said:
Looks just like a Holley to me :shrug:
yes the holley and the saleen intakes are very simular... But have you ever seen one with a fuel rail w/ 8 injectors mounted to the upper intake...

My question is trying to tune that thing would have to be twice as complicated and probably be expencive.. you are better off buying a low impedence driver and putting huge fuel injectors on if your having problems with getting enough fuel..

moneypit94 said:
yes the holley and the saleen intakes are very simular... But have you ever seen one with a fuel rail w/ 8 injectors mounted to the upper intake...

My question is trying to tune that thing would have to be twice as complicated and probably be expencive.. you are better off buying a low impedence driver and putting huge fuel injectors on if your having problems with getting enough fuel..

I meant just the manifold itself.

But no, I have never seen one with the injectors like that and I'm sure it's a nightmare in more ways than one :notnice:

It's my understanding that Holley/Weiand bought the rights to the intake and modified it and began producing their own version (including lower) -- which is improved. The Saleen/Vortech is the first of that style and came out long before the others. It never sold well because it was about $700, and that wasn't polished like in the picture.

The intake would have probably come with just the "bosses" for the injectors and he would have had to have them drilled and setup for the injectors, so that may be true. As I mentioned, I believe it's called the "shootout" version -- it's the one that had those bosses on it.

This is also back in the day before all kinds of fancy electronics and such that you can practically go to Walmart and buy, so it was a way for cars that needed alot of fuel to get that extra fuel. It was a great idea at the time, just expensive to make work. Nowadays you don't need that type of setup.

89MustangGX said:
It's my understanding that Holley/Weiand bought the rights to the intake and modified it and began producing their own version (including lower) -- which is improved. The Saleen/Vortech is the first of that style and came out long before the others. It never sold well because it was about $700, and that wasn't polished like in the picture.

The intake would have probably come with just the "bosses" for the injectors and he would have had to have them drilled and setup for the injectors, so that may be true. As I mentioned, I believe it's called the "shootout" version -- it's the one that had those bosses on it.

This is also back in the day before all kinds of fancy electronics and such that you can practically go to Walmart and buy, so it was a way for cars that needed alot of fuel to get that extra fuel. It was a great idea at the time, just expensive to make work. Nowadays you don't need that type of setup.

Your dead on! I know a guy that still runs this intake setup with the extra injectors. This setup was VERY hard to tune and led to some catastophic failures when things went amiss. Had I seen this post before I went to the track, I could have taken a pic of another friend of mine with the same intake, only not drilled. There are small circels cats into the aluminum which can then be drilled and tapped. The newer intakes are much better in design.