Hey everyone I need some suggestions on a camshaft

NoFearXStangFrk

Jul 25, 2005
Delaware
I have a 1992 LX with an AOD trans and I need a nice strong hydraulic roller camshaft, but not so much cam that I need a stall converter. Rigth now my stang is speed density and runs 15.5 in the 1/4 mile with a 2.73.1 in a 8.8 rear that the positive traction no longer is good in. If you have a suggestion on how to rebuild it (the positive traction) and where to get the parts please let me know. I have all the componets to swap to mass air and plan to get 3.73.1 gears. Please give me any suggestions you may have, please include company, part #(if possible), duration and lift specs. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and if your interested check out my Garge for any other Mod info I have done. Thanks. My father is the motor head so if you could cut down on the technical terms I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to learn though.

• Sponsors (?)

The stock piece is pretty good for what you have, unless your going to change heads or intake or both i would leave the cam. When you do make a cam choice you will want to match it with your motor and stall converter. So if you motor.....and cam..with a power range of 2500 to 6000 then you will need a converter that stalls around 2500 to 3000.. Changing the cam with what you have will most likely hurt your performance.

ok well i took the motor out of a crown vic and had it bored .30 so right now it is not a HO but i red in 5.0 Mustang mag that a crane 20-20 was a pretty good cam for an automatic. and i ported the heads and eventually i want gt40s i have crane lifters and full exaust along with headers my car sounds great right now but i just want to get it running 13.0s its too slow

The stock cam will run just fine with those bolt ons, I would get the heads before I would do a cam, I would also use aluminum heads for some weight savings... AFR Edlebrock Trick flow all make some great heads.. A cam isnt going to get you to a 13 sec time slip. The Aod needs alot of help to make it fast, I would get the trans go shift kit for it there around 100 dollars. and make a huge improvement,

Not really... The mass air will compensate to some degree. It will "learn" what it needs to off the sensors and run fuel and timiing off that...Adjustments to base timing alters where the computer starts to pull timing. The mass air give you the ability to change parts , bolt ons with out having to reset or reprogram everytime...it kinda adapts....Unless you get some serious mods the you will have to have that tuned also.. I'm not saying you wont eventually need to change your cam, But you could probably go faster by spending the money elsewhere.

dude, if the guy wants to get a Cam and ask's for help on choosing a cam, Why turn him away???ugh...

an E303 (ford racing performance products) cam is a Pretty good choice for a AOD car with the stock converter, but i would atleast get the 3.73 installed before the cam swap and like someone before stated a shift kit and a good trannie cooler, and also if it was me looking back, before i did any upgrades i would go ahead with a mild converter (2400-2600RPM Lockup style) to get the AOD up to par...im guessing your car is not Mass air equipped so i wouldnt go with a Too agressive cam, i would chose one with a Wide lobe seporation angle (112* or more) and around 220* or less duration @.050....with just the trannie upgrades like a nice converter and a shift kit along with a gear, you should easily be out of the 15's, with a cam, you should atleast gain two tenths or so...just my oppinion's