hey guys im new here and needs some help...

blackstang85

Dec 20, 2009
my car sat for about six years and now that im driving it again i have replaced the gas tank,pump,reg and carb(650 cfm speed demon) coil and voltage reg.... but yet it still stumbles at idle and driving and i noticed the clock in my car cuts out when the engine stumbles... i have also took the carb apart and cleaned it out but it still does its crazy stumbling... does anyone have any idea's for me...please...

• Sponsors (?)

ok thanks, thats one thing i didn't do is check the plugs... my timing is set at 20 degrees ATDC do you think i mite need to advance it more?
heres the run down of what i have
TFS twisted wedge heads(stage 1 port)
TFS stage 1 cam
TFS pushrods
FRPP hydrolic roller lifts
accudrive gear to gear timing set
proformer rpm air gap intake(gasket ported to match heads)
speed demon 650 cfm carb
mac shorties
off road h-pipe
flowmaster cat back
msd probillet distributor
msd 8.5mm wire
msd 6AL box
msd blaster 3 coil
4:10 gears
8.8 rear
king cobra clutch 10.5"
high volume oil pump
high flow water pump
mech. fuel pump holley 110 gph
holley fuel pressure reg 4.5-9 psi
new oem style fuel filter in-line
new oem style fuel tank
new oem style fuel sending unit

all this new stuff and still the car runs like **** sometimes... but ill look into the plugs and timing.. thanks again guys...

Is it just the clock that cuts out at the same time? Or the radio/heater fan/headlights... electrical in general. Sounds like you might have loose ground issues. It's not going to be the pos. side since your alt should keep things going as long as it's running, but bad ground will kill everything.

well i don't have a radio in the car yet but yes the head lights and the clock cut out at the same time the engine stumbles. bad ground is what my dad said too but i checked the neg. side to block and that was good to go and then i checked the ground from the pass. side head to firewall and that was also good to go... is there one im missing that you know of? but if this is a grounding issue would this happen so randomly?

On my '91 there is a ground wire that runs from the batter to the driver's front fender (body ground). Check all your grounds and clean them until they're scraped clean to ensure, without a doubt, sufficient ground (gotta be thorough).

Clean your battery terminals as well. Green powder anywhere = corrosion and reduced or eliminated conductivity. Ensure they're conductive, clean and tight.

It really sounds like a ground problem, especially after the car was sitting for so long. Start with this basic yet paramount issue.

What sort of storage was it in? Dry? Consistent humiditiy/temp? Subject to frequent condensation?

it was in connecticut and if you don't that place has all for seasons from to way cold, wet to dry... tonight i took it for a ride after i checked the and changed the timing up like two more degrees advanced and the car ran great at idle like always... then the ride was the worst it has ever been like the engine just shut down but the lights stayed one and the clock still flickered and shut with the engine i pushed the clutch in and poped it and it turned back on but still ran like *****.... however when i ran it hard because i got mad it was fine its really f'n crazy guys.... but ill check and clean all the grounds... thanks guys...

thanks for all the help guys i found the issue and it was the ign switch thanks apollo12 and the rest of you if i can ever help you guys with anything on your stang just send me a message...