• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-

Hey New Here Just A Quick Question?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tdude
  • Start date Start date Oct 26, 2013

Tdude

New Member
Oct 26, 2013
8
0
2
Oct 26, 2013
#1
  • Oct 26, 2013
  • #1
Hello, I have a 2000 V6 Mustang and I am looking to upgrade to something newer with a V8. Just wanting to see for those who have upgraded from a V6 to a V8 what your thoughts are and overall experience? Thank you.
 

Nunja Business

Member
Jan 20, 2013
23
7
14
LA (Lower Alabama)
Oct 27, 2013
#2
  • Oct 27, 2013
  • #2
You will never regret it, after the first time you really throw the coals to it.
I agonized over V6 vs. GT when I got mine and my big brother set me straight.
No matter how much (or how little) modding you are planning, starting of with the V8 is the best choice.

If fuel efficiency is a big concern - I still get better than 22MPG and my foot is in it regularly.
 

Tdude

New Member
Oct 26, 2013
8
0
2
Oct 27, 2013
#3
  • Oct 27, 2013
  • #3
Nunja Business said:
You will never regret it, after the first time you really throw the coals to it.
I agonized over V6 vs. GT when I got mine and my big brother set me straight.
No matter how much (or how little) modding you are planning, starting of with the V8 is the best choice.

If fuel efficiency is a big concern - I still get better than 22MPG and my foot is in it regularly.
Click to expand...
I already own a 2000 V6 and I have always been looking for a GT since so maybe it is time to upgrade!
 

Diode Dynamics

10 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
912
64
69
St. Louis, Missouri
Nov 14, 2013
#4
  • Nov 14, 2013
  • #4
Welcome!

I went from a 2006 V6 to a 2007 GT and it's been a huge upgrade!

Aside from the performance, the sound alone is worth the extra money IMO go V8

Nick C.
 

03_TrueBlue_GT

Active Member
May 5, 2010
810
41
29
Houston, Tx
Nov 14, 2013
#5
  • Nov 14, 2013
  • #5
Lol I'm one of the weirdos that has a GT and I am looking at the new V6 Mustangs...
 
Reactions: Roanstang

Tdude

New Member
Oct 26, 2013
8
0
2
Nov 14, 2013
#6
  • Nov 14, 2013
  • #6
03_TrueBlue_GT said:
Lol I'm one of the weirdos that has a GT and I am looking at the new V6 Mustangs...
Click to expand...
I was actually looking at the 2012 V6's with 305 HP stock I am too young to have payments tho!
 

Dugl

Member
May 18, 2011
83
16
19
PA.
Nov 15, 2013
#7
  • Nov 15, 2013
  • #7
Don't forget to compare torque in your quest to be impressed....that's what will glue you to the drivers seat during acceleration. Although the bone stock GT's do a decent job of delivering good gas mileage, but at the end if the day, musclecars weren't intended to compete with the Prius for fuel economy.
 

Clair Smith

Active Member
Apr 4, 2012
186
13
29
Norfolk Va
Nov 15, 2013
#8
  • Nov 15, 2013
  • #8
Go test drive a 2011+ GT and you will see why we love our V8. I had a V6 Mustang for awhile, and I have no regrets about the change to a GT

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
 

Coyote5.0

5 Year Member
Aug 27, 2010
625
102
64
Portage, Wisconsin
Nov 16, 2013
#9
  • Nov 16, 2013
  • #9
Test drove a V6, but only actually considered the V8. The new V6 is quick once revved up, but only the V8 will pin you hard in the seat. And no V6 will ever sound like a V8.
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Nov 26, 2013
#10
  • Nov 26, 2013
  • #10
The 2011 and up V6 are a nice car but no comparison to the Coyote motor. The problem I see is no one will keep a V8 mustang stock- so keep that in your mind as well. We have a 2013 V6 as a DD and I have a 90 fox body LX vert as the weekend/fun car.
 

Clair Smith

Active Member
Apr 4, 2012
186
13
29
Norfolk Va
Nov 26, 2013
#11
  • Nov 26, 2013
  • #11
mikestang63 said:
The 2011 and up V6 are a nice car but no comparison to the Coyote motor. The problem I see is no one will keep a V8 mustang stock- so keep that in your mind as well. We have a 2013 V6 as a DD and I have a 90 fox body LX vert as the weekend/fun car.
Click to expand...
That is a true statement
I managed to keep my V6 completely stock, my GT was modded at 300 miles

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
 

Roanstang

Active Member
Feb 22, 2013
105
10
29
Coastal Texas
Nov 29, 2013
#12
  • Nov 29, 2013
  • #12
03_TrueBlue_GT said:
Lol I'm one of the weirdos that has a GT and I am looking at the new V6 Mustangs...
Click to expand...
I got the 3.7 and it has exceeded my expectations. With a few suspension mods I do a 14 sec. 1/4 mile pass at 100 mph.
It handles like a true sports car now too, mucho grip! V8's do sound better.
 

Dugl

Member
May 18, 2011
83
16
19
PA.
Dec 2, 2013
#13
  • Dec 2, 2013
  • #13
Just for comparison.....my 1971 Nova SS was an auto with a 350 cid, a cam, 3.73 gears (14" dia wheels) and was lighter than the newer Mustangs...... 14.34 was my best 1/4 mile pass in it. The newer FI technologies and engine designs definitely work.
 
Reactions: Roanstang

Tdude

New Member
Oct 26, 2013
8
0
2
Dec 8, 2013
#14
  • Dec 8, 2013
  • #14
I went ahead and took your guy's advice and went ahead and test drove a 2012 GT and the dealer guy was pretty chill and I asked can I floor it to see for myself and sure enough he let me go to a little spot off to the side and well HOLY ING V8 ! lol Anyway's I have been trying to get a newer GT since Monday. Only problem is my parents and the payments.... lol
 

madspeed

Colonel Mustard
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
8,913
1,332
204
a van down by the river
Dec 8, 2013
#15
  • Dec 8, 2013
  • #15
your parents will get over it, your wallet, not so much
 

Tdude

New Member
Oct 26, 2013
8
0
2
Dec 8, 2013
#16
  • Dec 8, 2013
  • #16
madspeed said:
your parents will get over it, your wallet, not so much
Click to expand...
I am only 17 and I have to finance it in my parents name... Sadly
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Dec 8, 2013
#17
  • Dec 8, 2013
  • #17
Tdude said:
I am only 17 and I have to finance it in my parents name... Sadly
Click to expand...


No Offense. I have an 18 year old and a 16 year old and NO WAY IN HELL would I let either one of them buy a 400hp car as their first car. That is a recipe for disaster. Since you are 17 you cannot legally enter into a contract, so it is up to your parents to buy it for you. Once they look at the insurance premiums and car payments, that should end it right there unless your last name is Trump.

A new V6 with 300HP is more than enough IMO and the insurance is less.
 
Reactions: 03_TrueBlue_GT

Tdude

New Member
Oct 26, 2013
8
0
2
Dec 8, 2013
#18
  • Dec 8, 2013
  • #18
mikestang63 said:
No Offense. I have an 18 year old and a 16 year old and NO WAY IN HELL would I let either one of them buy a 400hp car as their first car. That is a recipe for disaster. Since you are 17 you cannot legally enter into a contract, so it is up to your parents to buy it for you. Once they look at the insurance premiums and car payments, that should end it right there unless your last name is Trump.

A new V6 with 300HP is more than enough IMO and the insurance is less.
Click to expand...
No Offense taken. It would not be my first car. My first car is a 2000 V6 and I have had fun but honestly I am bored with it already lol!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

D
Yet another v8 swap
  • dulcimerbob
  • Sep 19, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
  • 2 3 4
Replies
71
Views
1K
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Tuesday at 1:04 AM
LILCBRA
D
Hey Ya'll from the North Georgia mountains
  • dulcimerbob
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
7
Views
183
The Welcome Wagon Sep 12, 2026
General karthief
W
Front ATS brakes with Taurus rear brakes. Full parts needed?
  • Wagonized
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
156
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 25, 2026
General karthief
D
97 V6 suspension upgrades
  • Dale1bre
  • Jan 18, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
432
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Jan 19, 2026
Noobz347
J
For Sale MASTER LISTING: Abandoned '66 Mustang Restomod Part-Out (Wilwood, Ididit, Quick Performance, Mishimoto)
  • JasonB66
  • Jul 23, 2026
  • Suspension
Replies
0
Views
240
Suspension Jul 23, 2026
JasonB66
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?