Hi From A New Member + An Ethics Question

izzyfizz

Oct 30, 2012
Hi everyone,

I just signed up and I have a 68 Falcon 200 as a daily driver and a 66 Mustang 200 that I haven't done anything with yet.

I have a couple of ethical questions that I wanted to throw out to the forum:

1) The 66 Mustang that I have is pretty rough and I bought it to save it from the crusher. Now I'm having second thoughts. My thinking goes like this: on one hand they're not making any more of these cars so I'm doing the collecting community a favor by saving a potential project with a valid title from the crusher, but on the other hand the car is a plain jane coupe, nothing special, so is there enough demand versus supply to make saving it worthwhile?

I don't have any interest in restoring this Mustang at the present time, so am I doing the right thing by saving a rusty hulk with a valid VIN/title? Or are there enough 66 Mustangs left that I can parts this one out without feeling guilty?

I'll wait to hear back before I ask the other question. Thanks for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

there are still plenty of mustangs available, so if you want to dump the cart on someone else, go ahead. it also depends on how bad the body is. if it is salvageable, then sell it to someone who is willing to bring the car back if you have no interest. if you do have an interest, then you an restore the car slowly as you can afford the parts.

It's pretty rusty and I could probably make more parting it out, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. It looks more and more like the world won't miss one less plain jane 66. Still, it's always sad to put an old faithful out of its misery.

Well fizzy, I'm certainly not an expert in Mustangs yet but am enjoying the ride. Form collector point of view, I would waste my time with any car unless it was something fully optioned, rare, or had a unique history. There are plenty of 66 mustangs , especially the more rare V8 bring collected & cherished, so I doubt an inline 6 with rust would carry much value ?

If it has a sentimental attraction for u, the keep & restore at your leisure ! Alternatively , if u have no interest in the car(which is what it sounds like) sell it someone who my have an interest in it. Sleep well, the mustang collector"s community won't miss it!

A couple years ago I had a similar situation. I bought a basket case Mustang that a past owner completely disassembled, then lost interest.I didn't want the car, just some parts off it. So I took what I wanted/needed for my own two Mustangs, sold lots of parts on ebay and right here on Stangnet, then sold the rest of the car to a local guy who was thrilled to get it for some parts for a father/son project he was building. Yes it sucks to lose another Mustang forever, but I thought of it like an organ donor. That thing was never gonna run again anyway because it had too much wrong and wasn't worth that much if it had been a perfectly running car. But by using some of the hard to find parts, it made many other cars complete again. Plus I made money on a car for once!

I don't think it is an "ethics" issue- if it is your property you have the right to do whatever you want with it. Still, I agree with your sentiment that it is a shame for a classic car like this to be destroyed, especially if someone else would like it. There are a ton of these left still, so I don't think your throwing away anything exceptionally rare. I hate to see any car get crushed, but thats just me. Wrong? Not really.