Hi From Utah

Unbound

Aug 20, 2014
Utah
22110-1979-Ford-Mustang.jpg

Just introducing myself.

When I turned 18 I got my first car. A yellow 1979 Cobra 2.3L Turbo. It probably once looked similar to the one in this photo. Unfortunately, it was in a lot rougher shape by the time I found it in 2003. It was non-running, the tranny was sitting in the back seat of the car and someone (sadly) had updated the interior to the 87-93 interior. It had been sitting out for sale for quite a while by the road and some idiot had thrown a big rock and broke the windshield.

We paid for it, hooked up a tow rope and towed it back home with me inside steering it. It can't quite explain it, but as short as that trip was with me steering while looking out the dusty smashed windshield over the hood scoop, I fell in love with that thing. It was rough and in pieces, but it was mine. Oh man, the ridiculous number of hours I put into researching and designing my plan to rebuild it. 100s easily. I gathered various parts, tore the thing apart, and so forth. Eventually though a few years later, as life happens, it made more sense to sell it, then to keep it around. Sadly, it went away with me never having finished it and I think that left a little void that never left me. I still have a Cobra emblem from the interior and the hood scoop though, so part of it will live on in my next build.

I'm 30 now and am planning a build again. Just trying to figure out when and how ($). It will be, in my mind, a tribute to the fox series. A best of, in a sense. I know I want to use a 1985-86 T-Top 4-eye model, as I've come to feel those are the best looking of the series, IMO. It will largely be influenced by the style of the 1985 Saleen model, with a little SVO and GT in there and my own custom paint scheme. Keeping it clean, style wise, is important to me. It will be a 2.3L Turbo, like my original car (though sweetened up quiet a bit). If I were doing a 60s Mustang I'd go V8 for sure, but there's something about the 2.3L's in the foxes. Any 2.3L Turbo experts in here by the way? I want it to be fairly balanced though, a daily driver, with some kick.

Anyways, that's my story, hope to see some cool stuff all of you.

• Sponsors (?)