Hi

d50tt

Apr 15, 2006
I'd just like to introduce myself to the forums since I'm obviously a new member here. All formalities aside here, I would like to get right down to my question. I've recently decided to pickup a 5.0 mustang as a side project to build on, and I have a few questions here. Before I continue, I'd just like to let you know I'm from the import side of the automotive world, so please forgive me if any of my questions sound ignorant, etc. My current daily driver is a 1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, which pushes about 550 whp through all 4 wheels on a freshly built 2.8L Inline-6 RB26DETT. It definitely a fun daily driver, but I've decided that I'd like a v8, thought I'd give 5.0's a try.

Anyways, I'm probably going to pickup a 5.0 around my area thats in okay condition for real cheap, and I was thinking about building my own twin turbo kit for one. Now, I don't know much about working on the 5.0L V8 motor, like if I need forged goods, etc.. I know on my skyline the stock internals can take up to 500 HP before they start to break, I'm assuming that isn't the case with the mustang since its N/A to begin with. If anybody can provide any decent suggestions, advice (so i don't waste my time), etc... that would be awesome, and I would appreciate it.

BTW, I've heard a 351W fits into a 5.0 engine bay without any modification, is this true? Again, ideally I'd like to make 400-500 RWHP once its all said and done here, which I don't think is too much to ask. I think I might daily drive a 5.0 and build a 351W on the side if its worth the extra displacement, and don't a lot of the parts between the 5.0 and 5.8 swap between each other no problems?

• Sponsors (?)

The 5.0 is alot cheaper and easier to mod and sounds way better. Sounds like you nissan would be a fun DD. Yea the 351 will fit and the stock 5.0 block will hold up to around 500 hp.
At least you thinking about switching it up from the import scene. Tell your friends they should do the same.

d50tt said:
I'd just like to introduce myself to the forums since I'm obviously a new member here.

Welcom to :SNSign:

d50tt said:
All formalities aside here, I would like to get right down to my question. I've recently decided to pickup a 5.0 mustang as a side project to build on, and I have a few questions here...Anyways, I'm probably going to pickup a 5.0 around my area thats in okay condition for real cheap, and I was thinking about building my own twin turbo kit for one.

Lots of folks on here can help you with a TT setup. I am not one of them though

d50tt said:
Now, I don't know much about working on the 5.0L V8 motor
It's easy!

d50tt said:
like if I need forged goods, etc..

www.mustanggt.org for all the background information you need on the history of the Mustang 5.0L (well starting from '82 for the GT) But all of the V8's are the same so the information is still valid

Everyone will tell you the 5.0L came with all forged internals up until late 1992 when they switched to hyperutectic pistons. But most of these motors have been opened up and rebuilt so it will be hard to tell without looking inside to be certian.

And just as a warning, the Block is the weakest link. It'll probably split in half at 450RWHP. Stay under 425RWHP and you'll probably be safe.

d50tt said:
I know on my skyline the stock internals can take up to 500 HP before they start to break, I'm assuming that isn't the case with the mustang since its N/A to begin with. If anybody can provide any decent suggestions, advice (so i don't waste my time), etc... that would be awesome, and I would appreciate it.

If you need any other help, let us know. And welcome to the madness

BTW, I've heard a 351W fits into a 5.0 engine bay without any modification, is this true? Again, ideally I'd like to make 400-500 RWHP once its all said and done here, which I don't think is too much to ask. I think I might daily drive a 5.0 and build a 351W on the side if its worth the extra displacement, and don't a lot of the parts between the 5.0 and 5.8 swap between each other no problems?[/QUOTE]

Roland69 said:
Maby he has a G-TECH PRO lol

The amount of money I put into the RB26DETT motor itself is literally going to be several times more than what I will spend into a 5.0 to obtain the same amount of horsepower, theoretically.

I have an HKS 2.8L stroker kit, which pretty much just increases bore, all forged internals (balanced crank, forged pistons, forged rods), hks intake/exhaust camshafts, HKS GT2835R turbos (can't remember specs), 800cc injectors, hks titanium cat-back, hks down-pipe, hks air intake, larger intake plenum/manifold, larger maf, upgraded valvetrain.

What does this all mean? 550 WHP with a redline of 9500 RPM. Torque is low, which is sort of to be expected with the low stroke of the RB26, its hanging around 320. I don't have a dynograph on my comp, so you'll have to believe me. Oh yeah, I've got an ATESSA-ETS controller, basically if ANY of you know skylines, you will know it isn't full time AWD, a flick of a switch and I can make the car full time RWD. I can up the boost and make 600 WHP without a sweat, the stroker kit, valvetrain is designed for 800 WHP, 10,000 RPM applications if need be. Obviously tuning, etc.. becomes an issue at that point and very expensive. 1000 WHP is roughly about $50-60k worth of work.

I can spank just about most cars around my area, and it I can take corners like nothing, ask anybody whos ever ridden in a skyline.

If the short block on the 5.0 is the weak point, should I just buy a 351W shortblock instead? I'm assuming that should hold 500 WHP without a sweat. Obviously this will be a freshly machined block, etc.. I'm asuming the 351W can use the same cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, etc.. as a 5.0?

351w can fit.. you need the swap headers, oil pan and pick up tube. The injector tubing around the intake is wider on the 351w's so that will need to be modified. A different lower intake is required as well for the different valley. You need a late model windsor distributor that is electronic. alot of parts are interchangeable but you can use the search function to find the specifics, i know your new but its there in bold letters at the top of the forum. good luck..

Are there any good aftermarket 351 short blocks? I'm going to look at them after I find the right candidate mustang. As for pictures, I have a few of them, but they are outdated. Its silver, 2 door coupe, nothing special lol. Its stock in terms of body as well, I haven't done anything to the exterior as I hate most aero kits out of japan anyways, not a big fan of looking like a spaceship. When I get some updated pics I'll post'em.

Biggest appeal to me right now is the freaking price of making 500 WHP on a 5.8L or 5.0 motor. Wow, not NEARLY as much, hell a basic rebuild on an rb26 skyline motor costs $5k.. and that doesn't include a turbo overhaul either. I'm pretty sure I could get a TT 5.8 making 500 RWHP for under $10,000 which is the kind of funding I can do right now.

Anyways thanks guys, thats all I wanted to know.. I'll start talking again once I start building the turbo kit.

Okay Im going to actually take a few minutes to type all this out because Id really like to help you out here.

Honestly, when its all said and done, 500rwhp on a V8 is very different than 500awhp on your skyline. The main difference is with that 500rwhp your going to have 500-600rwtq, and this is all low end torque, which is good for breaking just about everything in the car.

That being said a 10,000 will definitally get you a great TT 302 based motor, but the rest of the car is just going to be anniliated by the type of power your going to put down.

5.0's are project cars. The reason they have the reputation of either being really fast or really slow is because its a type of all or nothing car. Its not something you can just go drop a few hundred on bolt ons and have a fast car. You will find yourself hitting a barrier, and after that point, your going to spend big bucks.

The stock transmissions will shred pretty quick, even with stock motors, as I have done to mine on a bone stock motor putting out the stock 225hp and 290 or so tq. The rear ends are really tough but the diff's will burn out once you get some sticky tires which gives you the typical "peg leg burnout".

With this in mind you really need to decide if a 5.0 is the right V8 for you. Youre going to spend a lot of money, but youre also going to make a ton of power and have a lot of fun.

Youre basic rebuild on youre skyline motor cost's 5k, a built motor is a built motor, its going to cost a lot of money, you can find yourself dropping 10g's on a balls to the wall N/A 351 based setup.

351s swap in fairly easy, but definitally not without any modification. There is a thread with all the steps, but basically a bone stock 5.0 with no driveline mods is not going to take a 351 for long.

You can fit all the way up to a 460 in these cars, and you can even stroke the 460 to a 514 or even higher using a Dart block. Theres an 806 stroker kit for sale from RPM.

Back to your 351 idea, aftermarket 351 blocks are not always a necessity because the stock 351 blocks, especially the 69's and older, are far stronger than any stock 302 block. The stock 302's will split at about 500rwhp. Some more some less. Unless your going serious FI, an aftermarket 351 block is not necessary as they are not cheap.

Let me know if you have any other questions, Id be happy to help you out as it seems you are pretty serious about the whole idea.

HKS 2.8L Stroker Kit - $7500 USD
HKS Camshafts (Intake/Exhaust) - $2000 USD
HKS Air Intake - $1000 USD
HKS Camshaft Gears (Intake/Exhaust) - $500 USD
HKS Titanium Cat-Back Exhaust - $2500 USD
HKS Down-Pipe - $1000 USD
JUN Intake Plenum - $2000 USD
HKS 800cc Injectors - $1500 USD

These are just some of the many parts I've changed. That's roughly $20k, and that doesn't include machine work, installation, and the rest of the freaking car. Thank god the stock drivetrain itself is nearly invincible, the GT-R can hold 550+ WHP without shattering, theres some guys running 800 WHP on the stock GT-R differentials, but obviously drag clutches, etc. Transmission itself will hold 400 WHP without problems, the R34 GT-R will hold 500 WHP on its 6 Speed Getrag transmission without shattering.

Anyways, I'm thinking about selling my skyline off to finance a house or something. That's part of the reason why I want a 5.0 too because its nice power, for *pretty* cheap. Did I mention my having 500 RWTQ would be nice too? heh I'm barely past 300 WTQ on my build right now for my skyline.

Just give me a PM buddy, you sound like you know some stuff :p

Aliate X said:
Okay Im going to actually take a few minutes to type all this out because Id really like to help you out here.

Honestly, when its all said and done, 500rwhp on a V8 is very different than 500awhp on your skyline. The main difference is with that 500rwhp your going to have 500-600rwtq, and this is all low end torque, which is good for breaking just about everything in the car.

That being said a 10,000 will definitally get you a great TT 302 based motor, but the rest of the car is just going to be anniliated by the type of power your going to put down.

5.0's are project cars. The reason they have the reputation of either being really fast or really slow is because its a type of all or nothing car. Its not something you can just go drop a few hundred on bolt ons and have a fast car. You will find yourself hitting a barrier, and after that point, your going to spend big bucks.

The stock transmissions will shred pretty quick, even with stock motors, as I have done to mine on a bone stock motor putting out the stock 225hp and 290 or so tq. The rear ends are really tough but the diff's will burn out once you get some sticky tires which gives you the typical "peg leg burnout".

With this in mind you really need to decide if a 5.0 is the right V8 for you. Youre going to spend a lot of money, but youre also going to make a ton of power and have a lot of fun.

Youre basic rebuild on youre skyline motor cost's 5k, a built motor is a built motor, its going to cost a lot of money, you can find yourself dropping 10g's on a balls to the wall N/A 351 based setup.

351s swap in fairly easy, but definitally not without any modification. There is a thread with all the steps, but basically a bone stock 5.0 with no driveline mods is not going to take a 351 for long.

You can fit all the way up to a 460 in these cars, and you can even stroke the 460 to a 514 or even higher using a Dart block. Theres an 806 stroker kit for sale from RPM.

Back to your 351 idea, aftermarket 351 blocks are not always a necessity because the stock 351 blocks, especially the 69's and older, are far stronger than any stock 302 block. The stock 302's will split at about 500rwhp. Some more some less. Unless your going serious FI, an aftermarket 351 block is not necessary as they are not cheap.

Let me know if you have any other questions, Id be happy to help you out as it seems you are pretty serious about the whole idea.

welcome to stangnet. seems you are very mechanically inclined so you'll make alot of friends fast in here. are you dead set on a 351 block? the reason i ask is because 347 and 331 stroker motors are very popular for the fox bodies. i have a friend back home who had an insane fox body with a 347 stroker and a kenne bell supercharger on it. he was running ported trick flow heads and turning around 600 hp. if you can't find the 351 setup you are looking for a good 302 based stroker might give you a better and possibly cheaper alternative. and good luck on your project. i'm sure it will be killer.

Welcome to Stangnet!

You'll have a lot of fun working on the 5.0 engine. And there's hundreds of guys here that can help you with anything you might need assistance with.

If money was no object, I'd do a couple things with your engine combo.

First, I'd get a DART Block. They're good for lots and lots of HP. :)

http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69_82_104

Then, I'd look into a good stroker kit for the car. 331 and 347 are both great choices.

http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71_161_164

Then, I'd look into some good heads. AFR is a very popular choice for a lot of people. I would think either 205s or 225s would be optimal for your desired Turbo Setup.

http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68_100_114

Then, I'd look into a very good flowing intake manifold for those heads. Either The Spyder intake listed below, or a Trickflow Track Heat, R-Series, or Box-R, depending on how much PSI you want to push on that turbo. the Holley SysteMAX Intake is also a great choice for forced induction applications.

http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=175

http://www.trickflow.com/product/manifoldsandspacers/pr_intake_manifolds.asp

http://www.holley.com/300-72S.asp

Among other things, probably a 75mm or 80mm Throttle Body, an 80 or 90mm Mass Airflow Sensor for pushing all that air, 42lb injectors or maybe higher.

Oh yeah, forgot the turbo part. :D

Hellion makes a great kit for the 5.0 engine. Here's a link to a kit they sell that includes pretty much everything down to the kitchen sink.

http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/kit_86_93.php

As Far as the transmission goes, what someone said earlier about them breaking very easily under high power couldn't be more right. The stock T5 is not the most durable thing in the world. For that, I would recommend a Viper-Spec T-56 Transmission (6-speed fox!).

http://www.ddperformance.com/T56 Kits.htm

Anyway, I think I've thrown enough expensive stuff out there for you to ponder. Anyone can add or dispute anything I've thrown up here if it might seem inaccurate. Good luck picking parts man, and keep us up to date on your progress.

Welcome again. :SNSign:

d50tt - head on over to www.turbomustangs.com

there are some serious people there on the forums and alot of them have documented and pics of their builds, some guys are making insane ammounts of power and they should have all the info you need if you are going to go the turbo route..