HID Lights

68FBJJZ109

May 2, 2005
Easton, PA
Does any one know if they make and HID Headlight for our cars? I did a search for them on here and found zip, and friend hadmentioned he saw a classic GTO with them. We just figured since so many cars shared the same lights and how popular they still all with the restomoding they would have made them by now.

• Sponsors (?)

Here is some, one is projector HID conversion and one is just reflective, and it says 7" round sealed beam but i dont know if it would be direct plug and play but its probably not too hard to fab up if you need to

HID

First you need to convert the standard H6024 7" sealed light to a H4 7" replaceable light. I did that with a set of Hella's lights, and I love them so far. Im running them with the standard halogen H4s right now while i wait for the HID kit to come in. You just need to order the HID kit for a standard H4 bulb. H4 and H6024 share the same connection. Very easy swap so far.

Heres the Hella conversion bulbs i used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hell...014QQitemZ330043777808QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

just put the HIDs on my car.

4300k kit from visionbulbs
Hella 7" H6024 to H4 bulb housings

Off:
View attachment 412414

On:
1265141ae5.jpg

Its hard to take pics from the front
1265143gv0.jpg

And yes they still need to be aimed.... but they are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than what i had. I couldn't see **** at night in my car. thought i was gonna die when i was driving.

Attachments

• 1265141ae5.jpg
    1265141ae5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 40
  • 1265143gv0.jpg
    1265143gv0.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 43
Dropping in replacement units is a "bolt-on" but your factory wiring can melt/burn. I'd suggest redoing the whole circuits with upgraded wiring and if you want full brightness using relays.

Also, check with your local DOT laws, some states will have issues with the upgrade and the local LEOs might have something to say.

Dropping in replacement units is a "bolt-on" but your factory wiring can melt/burn. I'd suggest redoing the whole circuits with upgraded wiring and if you want full brightness using relays.

Actually, this isn't the case. Switching to HID puts roughly the same load on the wiring as the stock headlights even tho they are much brighter. This is because HID is MUCH more efficient than other types of bulbs (even LED's).

If we were talking about switching to halogens or something I would be in total agreement.

HID stands for "high-intensity-discharge", it is a generic term, there are many varieties, all in different output ranges. A buddy of mine put the reflector style glass in his 66 that take the rmovable bulbs (as opposed to the sealed-beam style) and they were no brighter than the halogen sealed beams he had for years. He added a relay and they were bright as he11, but after about 5 minutes we could smell the wiring and the leads were melting the insulation, too hot to touch.

I'm not arguing with you, I accept your account, I've just seen things go wrong with this type of headlight upgrade.

Good to know, fortunately i wont be using factory wiring.
Just my personal opinion, but everyone with a 65-73 should seriously consider replacing their wiring. 40 years of exposure is more than they were engineered to endure. I have seen wires so stiff and brittle that the insulation flaked off when they were bent, I have also seen corroded copper inside what appeared to be sound insulation. With the amount of money some folks are putting into their rides it is a relatively cheap expense for the peace-of-mind it offers.

Also, check with your local DOT laws, some states will have issues with the upgrade and the local LEOs might have something to say.

A good HID retrofit kit will incorporate relays in the wiring harness, and draw power for the HID ballasts directly from the battery. That way your stock headlight wiring harness and switch need only operate the relays rather than have to supply the up to 50W of initial start-up power a ballast will draw.

I don't know of any location in the U.S. where HID retrofit bulbs are legal. If they're aimed correctly though so as to not blind oncoming drivers (including LEO's) you likely won't have any issues with them. I have been using them for the past three years and have not been pulled over or asked about them by any police officers.

as said above, HIDs pull their power directly from the battery, and has a fuse and relay built into the wiring. It only connects to one of the stock headlight plugs, and thats where it gets the signal from the switch.